Need Some Help

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Need Some Help

Postby Ken W » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:59 am

I have duck and goose hunted a bunch of times with other people in the past. I would like to buy some equipment and try going myself.

I cannot spend a fortune right off the bat so I want some good advice on what to get. I have access to a few small ponds that I have shot mostly Mallards, Wood Ducks and some Canadians. I also know of a few fields for early season geese.

What do I need as far as decoys and calls. The easier (calls) to use the better. I seen a few calls that cost 100's so they are out for know.
Ken W
Newb

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:01 am

Decoys. GHG hotbuys. about 30 bucks for a dozen

Calls. Primos original wench, primos timber wench (both about 15), or Quackhead jframe (around 25)
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby LIGHT12 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am

As GooseBoy said the hotbuys would work great for you. I have some expensive decoys but my bonds which are really cheap did great for me until this summer when I gave them to a youngster.

For goose decoys in feilds others here are more qualified, I hunt over water mostly. But I have used shells a lot in fields in the past. I have done fine with them. Post on the goose forum and ask for reasonable priced alternatives for fields. Also check the classifieds here and on other boards.

For calls, I just discovered Buck Gardners double nasty 2 in poly. I got one at Walmart for $14. And it sounds great. On par with a couple of my acrylics.

For Goose calls and duck calls checkout Winglock they are a sponsor here. And I have a walnut flute that is great.

Illusions short reed goose call comes with a nice dvd for learning. Not a bad call-$22.00 as gander mountain. I bought this and the buck gardner on a road trip that I had forgotten my calls to entertain myself in the truck.
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby H20fwlkillr » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:43 pm

If you haven't done much calling, leave the calls at home. You will get more birds in with just the decoys. If you must call, use single soft quacks or just buy a Primos feeding mallard. Just shake it, can't do it wrong. A very good cheap call for beginers is a Knight and Hale model 317, costs about $7.
You can get a dozen goose shells for 50 bucks from BassPro. The also make some killer floaters for about $60. I use both. If I need a bigger spread to get birds in, I have 50 Texas rags I throw in.
I'll start treating my wife as good as my dog when she starts fetching ducks.
H20fwlkillr
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:47 pm

I dont like the knight and hale calls they stick to easy.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Beginner

Postby yamaha783 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:19 pm

The dozen Hotbuys should be sufficient, maybe find a couple of woodie dekes, no more than a half-dozen should suffice. Maybe a few goose floaters for the edges?

Get a 6-in-1 whistle and learn to blow that, very easy for beginners to get the hang of and very effective. Birds are often responsive to the whistles when they've gotten so used to hearing the mallard calls that EVERYONE uses. :thumbsup:
Last edited by yamaha783 on Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
yamaha783
hunter

Postby THIN MAN » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:41 pm

I agree with the hot buy mallards, good decoy for the money! H20fwlKillr is right, if you're an inexperienced caller leave them behind! As stated above the 6 in 1 whistle or a primos feed call will be a great way for you to start out!

THIN MAN
For we were born yesterday,and know nothing,
because our days on earth are only a shadow.

JOB 8:9
THIN MAN
hunter

Postby jhrper » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:38 pm

I think you should save your money and get a good call before you try to learn on a cheap one. I also agree with the others, the call can hurt more than it can help so be careful with it.
jhrper
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:11 am

For decoys i would suggest 4 goose floaters, off to the side, near blind for confidence. Then 1-2 dozen hotbuys out front and a few woodie deeks seprate from the mallards. Get mabey a shaker feeder call and a wistle or somthin. also get a call, mabey primos wench, but practice with it, dont use it the field, this year.
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:58 am

For starter goose decoy's take a look at the Feather Flex Canada Goose decoys. You can pick some up for around $70.00 for a dozen. They are foam shells, very light weight, take up little space, and work both in the field and on water. Since you will be hunting both field and water, you can use them both places. As far as I know you cannot find decoys that will work both on the water and in the field for a cheaper price. I baught a doz as my first canada deeks and they worked fine. Shot alot of geese over them.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby 10 ga. » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:12 am

I would say pick up at least a dozen hot buy decoys and put 4 or 5 of them on a decoy launcher, the motion that these give will set your spread apart from other spreads that just sit there . The decoy launcher will make a dozen decoys hunt like 3 dozen just from the movement it gives you in you decoys.
Set 5 dozen decoys in 5 minutes www.duckhuntingsolutions.com

Duck Hunting Solutions Long Lines Decoy Rigs & Kits
10 ga.
DHC Sponsor

Postby The Cat Island Drake » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:36 pm

I use Duck Commander calls, they sound the best to me and they are easy to blow, and they work. Try the duck picker. If you want deeks that will last and look great git G&H decoys.
There just ain't nothin' like a mornin' woody!
The Cat Island Drake
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting