65 Degrees and Windy?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

65 Degrees and Windy?

Postby teal12 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:50 am

The past few days we have been experiencing 60-75 degree days with 15-30mph winds. Are these days good to hunt if you can find a quiet calm place out of the wind or would this be a waste of my time? The weather feels nice but if the birds are not going to be out i don't want to waste taking a day off of work.
teal12
hunter

Re: 65 Degrees and Windy?

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:20 pm

From my experience it probably won't be very productive and it will be uncompfortable with bugs and sweating. If you have the day off then I'd be out but if you have a chance to Waite and take a day with better weather that's what I'd do. Just my .02.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:51 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:From my experience it probably won't be very productive and it will be uncompfortable with bugs and sweating. If you have the day off then I'd be out but if you have a chance to Waite and take a day with better weather that's what I'd do. Just my .02.

:lol3:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby tcaulder » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:53 pm

we hunt the coast in SC if the winds blowing that hard get to the marsh if its in your area it will be worth it. Ducks always move if its raining or windy temp doesnt really matter for down here. If you can get rain plus the wind get there no matter what
tcaulder
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:58 pm

Rain is one of the best conditions there is for ducks. Wind slows them way down when they are landing.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

65 Degrees and Windy?

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:16 pm

Rain/snow is the biggest thing up here. Temp makes a big difference too.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Gen. Lee » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:30 am

"we hunt the coast in SC if the winds blowing that hard get to the marsh if its in your area it will be worth it."

Similarly, I hunt the coast in NC (along Pamlico Sound) and this describes my experience exactly. Temperature is not as important as wind. Even days that are merely cloudy or overcast need wind to get them moving. Blue skies and wind work fine. It is a mistake to stay home on bluebird days if there is wind...Even rain with no wind is not as good for waterfowling as a bluebird day with wind...

Of course, best of all is blowing snow, windy sleet, that sort of thing. Wind, in my experience, is the most important factor...

Get on the shore or close to it between the marsh and the larger body of water or the fields they will be interested in, put out a dozen or so decoys (the larger the better--go super magnum if possible) and be ready...
Gen. Lee
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:17 pm

Take what you can get..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hammer: :hammer:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting