Texas Gulf guides/hunts

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Texas Gulf guides/hunts

Postby wantingapintail » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:17 am

A few friends and I are looking to head south to Texas next year for pintails and redheads. We have been looking for a guide that provides local knowledge, blinds, and transportation. Everything else we would like to do on our own. Has anybody went down there and can recommend a duck hunting guide? Thanks for any help.

David
2010/2011 Season Totals
wantingapintail
hunter

Re: Texas Gulf guides/hunts

Postby AllFlockedUp » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:14 pm

I go over there every year and do a self guided hunt. The first time I went I went with Bay flatts lodge but I don't think they will just drop you off. Redheads down there are just about as dumb as it gets. I have literally killed them sitting on an oyster island with no cover out of a lawn chair!! This is not the normal way I hunt by any means but certain situations led me to do that on that day! The bad thing is that you will see thousands and thousands and can only kill two!! Oh well, I still go back every year anyway.
AllFlockedUp
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:02 pm

I went one year with bay flatts too they were pretty good and the prices weren't bad either.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby wantingapintail » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:31 pm

Did both of you guys kill birds with Bay Flatts? How was the service? Would you go again? Im just trying to hear some thoughts. Thanks. If anybody else has a recommendation please lets hear it.
2010/2011 Season Totals
wantingapintail
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:39 pm

Me, my dad, and 2 little brothers went and we all had limits everyday. I would go back, you can call them and they will let you know if the ducks/geese are there. They were friendly and pretty good. I go on 2-5 hunts a year to different places I've never hunted and use guide services on the hunts. They were some of the better ones I've been with.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Hunted one time down there with Third Coast Outfitters ..........STAY AWAY FROM THEM... :mad: :mad: :mad:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby hawkeye55 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:03 am

David Nesalony, Jr --Rockport area
Brandon Hubert--Baffin Bay area
hawkeye55
hunter

Postby AllFlockedUp » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:11 am

Bay flatts was alright but to be honest I did better on my own. In my opinion they cater more to the guest that stay with them in their fancy lodge so they can get more out of ya. I stayed elsewhere and had my boat with me to do it myself but wanted a sure chance at a pintail so I went out with them and did get my pintail. By the way they didn't know I had my boat! Never a good idea to let a guide know you have a boat! After the hunts with them, I struck out on my own and actually scouted (in a totally different bay then where we hunted) and killed limits every day. If it is redheads you are looking for a guide that has never been duck hunting should be able to put you on them on the Texas coast.
AllFlockedUp
hunter

Postby wantingapintail » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks guys
2010/2011 Season Totals
wantingapintail
hunter

Postby wadefischer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Roger Sherman www.shermanoutfitters.com ...plenty of blinds, pintail and redhead...website pricing is old...I believe it is $150
wadefischer
hunter

Postby bwilliams » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:08 pm

David Nesalony, Jr --Rockport area <----------This!!!! Had a great time with them.
bwilliams
hunter

Postby Lefty Ray » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:10 pm

Try these guys. I wrote this story on them last year and went with them on opening weekend this year. They will air boat you to a blind and can supply a guide if you want one. http://blog.mysanantonio.com/racksnreels/2011/11/21/the-blind-side/
Lefty Ray
I shoot a Benelli SuperNova, Franci Affinity, and a Canon 7D

Freelance Outdoor Photographer
No Blind is Too Cold, Too Crowded, or Too Far
Lefty Ray
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting