WOODIES

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

WOODIES

Postby wcgobbler » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:49 am

This is my first post. I have a 1 acre beaver pond with water oaks on two sides that bear acorns abundantly every year. The pond is approximately 10 years old, an a lot of the big timber has died out and is now submerged logs/stumps, along with most of the smaller willow trees. The beaver still maintain the pond, but they have also moved downstream approx 60 yards below my dam & built another dam, creating another pond. The bad thing is, the new dam/pond is on my neighbor's property.
Here is my dilemna: between 80-150 ducks are roosting on HIS pond every night and flying off at daylight to parts unknown and paying my pond no attention. We have killed several ducks in my pond thru the years, but now they are not coming in like they used to, hardly at all. The two ponds are only a very few yards apart, but his pond has much more cover than mine.
What can I do to get ducks???? Is there any hope this close to a roost pond? I refuse to shoot them coming into roost in the evening.
Help
wcgobbler
Newb

Re: WOODIES

Postby axsbilly » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:51 pm

Does your neighbor hunt his pond?

I have had this similar problem year after year. The solution is simple, destroy the other dam up stream. In my case no one hunts up river of me, so me getting in there and tearing out the damn is easy. In your case that may not be possible..

Words of wisdom, you will never beat the beaver. I have been fighting with them every year for about 3 years now. lol.
Sleep when you die!
axsbilly
hunter

Re: WOODIES

Postby duckman27 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Does the neighbor hunt the pond? If not ask him if you can hunt it. If not, the birds come into roost every night. Wait til it a day will bad weather. Get out there and then shoot them when they come in to roost early. As long as you only shoot the roost once or twice every 2 weeks or so the woodies will keep coming back. Make sure you get out of the water as soon as possible though to avoid other birds leaving for the night. If you object to this then you're probably out of luck atleast for this season. Maybe you could plant grasses, bushes or something around the edge come spring?
duckman27
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting