Wrong Wind

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Wrong Wind

Postby KSCROG » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 am

I'm hunting a rice field in a levee blind. The wind is the complete wrong direction at 16mph. Is there anything I can do to set up the decoys for working ducks or am I just screwed?
KSCROG
Newb

Re: Wrong Wind

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:35 am

Set the decoys out with a pocket in them that would allow the ducks to land into the wind. maybe an odd shaped J or U or maybe a T, Y, E, W or whatever you can so that there is an open space for them to land in that keeps them from flying over other decoys if possible.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:22 am

This is actually one of my favorite set-ups, as long as your back isn't against a huge woodlot. Put a good amount of decoys right in front of the blind 10-20yds. Then go out about 40 yds and put a little larger group that makes almost a cresent shape. Then sit very still. You won't even know they are coming when they are 10yds over your shoulder and land between the two groups. They are all cake shots at 20-30yds going away.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:26 am

Yeppers, the "wrong" wind can be great fun for those who don't lose their water as birds come over the top and wait until they're out front and have to fight the wind to get out when the guns do come up.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting