Migration?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Migration?

Postby Jessy_Mallette » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:36 pm

When reading migration reports I'll often see "No migration, local birds only". My question is how do you determine if birds are local birds or if they are migrating?
Jessy_Mallette
hunter

Re: Migration?

Postby Bob Caygeon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:33 am

More ducks than usual, different kinds of ducks and if you know your area migrators use different bodies of water and different fields to roost/ feed. I watch this little pond and each year teal show up early october. Around November 9th a bufflehead shows up every year and in another pond Black ducks show up by the truck loads. The blacks are one of my indicators that birds are migrating. That's my opinion.
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby 1080tommy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:12 am

I agree. By me when the black ducks show up, I know there are migrators in the area. The area of Illinois that I live in and hunt is predominantly mallards, and when different ducks start showing up, I know they are not from the area. I think as one hunts their spots, one can see the differnces in animals that are coming through. Just be in tune with the environment and you will know.
1080tommy
hunter

Postby Jessy_Mallette » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:20 am

Thanks y'all
Jessy_Mallette
hunter

Postby DroppnDrakes » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:07 pm

When flock after flock of mallards are coming down to land without hesitation, or flying real high, its migration
DroppnDrakes
hunter

Migration?

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:33 pm

For me around here once the groups of ducks go from 0-6 birds and get up Into 10-30 birds that's usually a big indicator migrators are coming through.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Jessy_Mallette » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:08 pm

Okay that makes sense. But, when reports say "migration just starting" how do you know that? Maybe you've scouted the area a week before and there weren't any birds moving in and now there are?
Jessy_Mallette
hunter

Migration?

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:40 pm

When it goes from all locals to some flight birds thats when it is "migration starting" as you start so see more then your getting to peak. With the DU migration map it's all subjective and varies by area. I've seen several reports all within 100 miles and some say "no migration" others say "peak migration" and some say the migration is over. Don't trust the map but it is another good source to follow the ducks.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting