Melting ice on ponds

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Melting ice on ponds

Postby Utter chaos » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:49 pm

Its starting to get cold out an i was thinking of ways to melt ice on the ponds we will be hunting would one of those older big mr heater with the 2 round burners an ajust 5 gallon tank work if i set the night befor an how big of an area would keep open
Utter chaos
hunter

Re: Melting ice on ponds

Postby Utter chaos » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:53 pm

42,000 btu per hour
Utter chaos
hunter

Postby bighillbilly » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:26 pm

A friend and I actually melted through a foot of ice using a sump pump. we cut a hole in the ice, dropped the pump down, attached some tubing to it to focus the water onto the ice in different areas and within a few days we had enough open water to hunt. In some areas I believe we ended up actually sinking the ice as the weight of the water on it grew. Less ice - less time. Those pumps really circulate the water. We had power right at the pond, but a generator would keep the pump running. Birds raft up on our lakes and keep them open by swimming around all night long - same idea.
bighillbilly
hunter

Postby damarshall7 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:14 pm

sinking the ice
:huh:

nothing like defying the laws of science
damarshall7
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:22 am

I have never tried this, but have seen guys take a BIG sheet of black plastic and lay on the ice and put there decoys on it to hold it down, looks like open water, and the birds flying over just cant pass it by. They get a big surprise when they hit what they think it water :lol3:
Love to watch um back peddel when the blind opens up
mysticwolf
hunter

Postby NVduck » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:54 am

They make ice eaters to take care of this problem
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:45 pm

A pump/moving water seems to work best. You are going to loose too much heat with Mr. Heaters to reallydo much good. Sometimes when we are ice fishing in extremely cold weather we will set coffee cans of burning carcoal next to the holes to keep them from refreezing. I'm not sure if that would work on a larger scale (barrel) or not.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:52 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:A pump/moving water seems to work best. You are going to loose too much heat with Mr. Heaters to reallydo much good. Sometimes when we are ice fishing in extremely cold weather we will set coffee cans of burning carcoal next to the holes to keep them from refreezing. I'm not sure if that would work on a larger scale (barrel) or not.

I know around here some of the old farmers will take an old 55 gallon drum and fill it full of scrap steel and wood, soak it in diesel, and light it up. The hot fire warms the steel up to red hot and even in below freezing water it will stay warm. They usually set this on ice after it is frozen to open up holes for cows to drink out of it.

mysticwolf wrote:I have never tried this, but have seen guys take a BIG sheet of black plastic and lay on the ice and put there decoys on it to hold it down, looks like open water, and the birds flying over just cant pass it by. They get a big surprise when they hit what they think it water :lol3:

Talk to HNTFSH about "plonds"
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:09 pm

A note on the "sinking ice" . As ice degrades it becomes heavier and can settle or sink. However a more likely scenario is that the weight of the ice was putting pressure on the water and once the hole was opened the water started to flood the ice to relieve the pressure. Happens a lot when we ice fish.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting