Decoy Shy

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Decoy Shy

Postby mallardman3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:54 am

Here in Utah the season has been terrible, with temps in the 50's in December and only 1 storm the ducks are all still local ducks and very decoy shy. I have tried all I can think of and now am at the point of using 5 deeks with a few divers out far. I have tried using geese floaters off to the side to provide comfort and have not been calling at all, this is the best I have been able to do to get some results. The results however are still very low, any info of your experience with this issue would be most appreciated. I really want my son to see what a good duck hunt is like.
mallardman3
hunter

Re: Decoy Shy

Postby imboray » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:06 pm

sometimes there isnt much you can do, other than wait for a new push of ducks. I would stick with the Canada floater idea. Throw out as many as ya can. also late season, the better looking the decoy the better off you may be. We've hunted late season weary ducks with 3 doz Dakota Canada floaters & only 1/2 doz. mallard floaters. Make your spread different from everyone elses. I would suggest putting away the spinners also. make sure you are hid exceptionally well & take your chances.
imboray
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:39 pm

I would run the honkers and no more than 6 duck floaters. Mix the ducks in with the geese, pair a few up. I have had been luck hunting smart ducks by mixing my ducks in with the geese vs seperating them.

agree with the no spinners if you have them or shut them off when they are looking.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby mallardman3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Awesome feedback thanks guys I will let you all know how it goes.
mallardman3
hunter

Postby woodie52 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:36 am

In florida they have been shot at all the way from canada, so I know how that goes with being decoy shy. we normally have to put out two or three dozen coots and about 6 teal or gadwall decoys, and the spinners you can throw that idea out the window they see them and LEAVE!! But that is what our whole season begining to end is like good luck.
woodie52
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:09 pm

All of the above sound pretty good. Have you tried a jerk cord or some other form of a water moving decoy? They help, agreed stay away from the mojos. You could also try 10 or more dozen decoys. Late in the season when everyone goes small spreads I go huge. I put out 200 or more decoys, birds can't resist it. The most important thing imo is staying different from the rest. If the huge I mean HUGE spreads won't work go with the small ones. Also try having different sized decoys. If you got mallards out mix some teal in with them. Call with the whistle instead of the mallard hen, and don't call much. When you do get a front and new birds come in to the area, go with the huge spreads, it draws em in fast.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting