Power Lines

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Power Lines

Postby LanceM » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:55 pm

Has anyone ever had problems decoying ducks due to power lines? I've always had problems decoying ducks on one end of a pond that has power lines over it. When you watch the birds from a distance, they tend to land out in the middle, then swim or fly low over the water to this shallow end of the pond to feed. Any time you see the ducks undisturbed, they are in this shallow area feeding, yet I rarely see them landing directly on this side. I've always ignored the power lines because I figure if they can shoot ducks in flooded timber in Arkansas, a set of power lines shouldn't bother them...but I'm starting to wonder. Any thoughts?
LanceM
hunter

Re: Power Lines

Postby apexhunter » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:19 pm

I've hunted a swamp that is adjacent to a main high voltage line for years and even though I've watched some birds fly into the wire at o-dark thirty I've had no issues with them shying away from it altogether. There is the possibility that the magnetic field surrounding the line disturbs their internal navigation. Since you have them patterned pretty well you might get between the middle landing area and their final loafing area and set up to see if they'll respond to your spread.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting