big water question

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

big water question

Postby DDTHNC » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:28 pm

Do you guys put out a large number of decoys like 30 plus or do you guys put out a dozen or so? Please help never really hunted lakes.
Life is tough, but it's even tougher when your stupid. John Wayne
DDTHNC
hunter

big water question

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:52 pm

Depends on your target species and what you consider big water. I use 3 doz minimum on the great lakes and usually closer to 5 dozen. Mostly targeting big ducks like mallards, blacks, and pintails.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Re: big water question

Postby mallardman3 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:56 pm

I hunt for mallards, pins, shoveler s, wigeon, teal and gadwall on my local lake. It is the great salt lake of Utah and the Utah lake. It all depends on the time of year in my opinion right now in December the ducks are very decoy shy and I can only get ducks to come in with using only six decoys. Any larger number and they wont come close. That being said we really did not get many ducks this year from migration so my birds are still mostly local. In other states I use more than 3 dozen and do well this time of year, they are paired up and the flocks are increasing thus using a large amount of decoys is helpful. Another thing alot of people do is match there deeks to the size of the flocks flying. I personally just try a different spread every time until I get one that works. Every duck hunter has their own right way and philosophy of how to spread the deeks and how many, but it is always helpful to hear everyone's point of view and test /mold your own.
mallardman3
hunter

Postby imboray » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

we hunt a permanent blind on a public lake & we run 500+ decoys. We leave them out all year. There are 10+ other blinds & none of them run less that 200 decoys. We've had guys try to run smaller spreads with little success, it may have been due to other variables but the bigger the better for me on big water.
imboray
hunter

Postby Got5dux » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:54 pm

We hunt the Potomac river in Va... Fairly big water, but not huge. We use about 8 doz blocks on long lines and a couple doz single droppers to fill in and break up strings. From the boat 1/4 mile from the spread it still looks small compared to large rafts of birds but seems to do the job well when birds are moving. Remember... Visiblelity is key on big water!! I feel the more the merrier when it comes to numbers of blocks. Its a matter of how hard you want to work at setup and take down.
Got5dux
hunter

Postby Got5dux » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:00 pm

Guess I should amend my statement by saying we mostly hunt divers but get our share of puddlers in doing so! :
biggrin:
Got5dux
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:19 pm

I always use a bunch of decoys I'm talking 10 or more dozen. The ducks don't hesitate to come in. See what everyone else is doing and do something different!
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting