Scouting tips

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Scouting tips

Postby Ga ducker » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:58 pm

Hey guys, I turkey hunt on a property with a few ponds on them and I'm trying to get permission to duck hunt on this land. I need a few tips on scouting ducks though. I can scout for any other animal in GA but I'm clueless on what to do for ducks! Should I just check these 2 ponds for ducks or look for other stuff too? If it helps any, one pond is 2 1/12 acres and has a few large trees that are growing in the pond but there isn't too much cover (I'm sure I could find somewhere to set up.) And the other pond I was looking at is about 2 acres in size and has a lot of cover around the edges. (It's almost completely circled by woods). Would these places be worth hunting? I'll give more information if needed but I just basically needed tips for scouting.

Thanks!
Ga ducker
hunter

Re: Scouting tips

Postby NVduck » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:08 am

If you can hunt those two ponds then thats what you need to be scouting. To decide if they are worth hunting watch um a few mornings and evenings to see if birds are using them.
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:00 pm

Scouting ducks is like scouting anything....watch the areas you plan to hunt. Invest in a good pair of binoculars. And have alot of gas money.
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby tbreen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:20 pm

If you want to be successful and harvest ducks, I would not limit yourself to one or two ponds. Hunting waterfowl required hours of scouting, and looking into many different options until you find the birds and put yourself in the best position to kill the most birds. That pond might be good to blow up once a season, but chances are, once you smoke the birds out once or twice, they ain't comin back!
tbreen
hunter

Postby Ga ducker » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:54 pm

I have found another few places to hunt, but when I posted that I was just making due with what I had.
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby dysco » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:41 pm

tbreen wrote:If you want to be successful and harvest ducks, I would not limit yourself to one or two ponds. Hunting waterfowl required hours of scouting, and looking into many different options until you find the birds and put yourself in the best position to kill the most birds. That pond might be good to blow up once a season, but chances are, once you smoke the birds out once or twice, they ain't comin back!

There's a difference between hunting and harvesting. I've been hunting a 200 acre local area for 3 weeks straight (today is my first kid's due date) and coming up with more than a duck a day in 30 minute to 2 hour chunks of time. There are no other huntable areas within an hour, and the great areas are 3+ hours from me. Timing, decoy strategy, and weather all play a big part. If you want to see what those ponds are doing for ducks, ask for permission to hunt a full day. Bring a book. Maybe there will be no ducks in the morning and then they'll stack up at noon or mid-afternoon. Is there a stream or a ditch connecting the two? I've shot a good number of ducks out of a foot-wide warmwater slough with 3' high sides. They jump from my feet but are hidden very well from the casual dog walker (and dog). The only way you'll know whether it's any good is to spend time there.
dysco
hunter

Postby barryboy08 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:04 pm

When I scout I like to just pick up a map and look for water I can get to legal to check it out. Once I find if birds are using it I will get permission to hunt then scout it out for a few days formulating a hunting plan then I try to hammer out some birds. Good luck!
Happy Hunting!
barryboy08
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting