Poor Color or Black x Mallard?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Poor Color or Black x Mallard?

Postby duckman27 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:29 pm

Shot this bird this morning. It has a browner shade to its breast on only has one partial tail curl. The marroon on the breast is far lighter than a normal mallard drake. The breast feathers are consistently brownish rather than grey. It's not the brown feathers like you see on the breasts of young birds early in the year. The feathers on the tail are brown which is way different that a normal mallard. On the head you can see that the feathers above the eye are green and then below the eye they are brownish/green which is consistent with the Black x Mallard Hybrid. When I shot it the birds feet were bright orange just like both a mallard and black. The tops of the wings are also a good bit darker than a normal mallard drake. This bird doesn't have pin feathers either which shows that it is a mature bird. Any ideas?
Attachments
duckkk.jpg
duckl.jpg
duckk.jpg
duckman27
hunter

Re: Poor Color or Black x Mallard?

Postby waubamikrider » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:54 am

This is at least a hybrid as you say.

Mallards have the dominate Gean, which means even a hybrid that is say 75%+ black (mother black, father 50/50 hybrid) the outcome is a hybrid leaning towards a mallard more then a black.

If I were to guess I'd say its Hybrid with significant amount of Black DNA. Which is showing through even tho the Mallard's geans are dominant.

I wouldn't think this is just a poor color Mallard as this late in the year even first year birds are fully colored.

I am no duck biologist and I'm very likely dead wrong. But It's fun to pretend.

:beer:
waubamikrider
hunter

Postby imboray » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:32 pm

I think it is a young poor colored mallard even this late in the year. Look at his legs they arnt very bright orange yet either
imboray
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:21 pm

I see a lot of black x mallard hybrids out here and I really think you have a hybrid in those pics. I could be wrong, but I really doubt its just a young bird this late in the year.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby SGT Greenhead » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:26 pm

Could just be a pond duck too... I shot one a few weeks ago...
Attachments
image.jpg
SGT Greenhead
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:11 pm

Old Mallard Drake
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting