Flooded Timber Help

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Flooded Timber Help

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:14 am

Hey guys,

Ive got a flooded timber hole that i need alittle help on, seeing as ive never hunted timber before. Does wind matter? do i what should my spread look like? what kind of weather is better than others? Any tips will help!

Thank yall,
OKGH
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Re: Flooded Timber Help

Postby CutEm214 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:49 am

Wind shouldn't matter much unless you're hunting a hole in the timber that's big enough for the ducks to land into the wind instead of dropping straight down. Again, depending on the size of the hole your decoy spread could be as little as half a dozen mallards/gadwall with a couple of them on a jerk string or as many as 100 of the same. You can also bunch of your decoys in spots that you don't want the birds to land to funnel them toward where you do. Ideal weather for flooded timber is usually clear and cold with about 10-15mph wind. Good visibility for your decoys and casts plenty of shadows to hide in.
CutEm214
hunter

Re: Flooded Timber Help

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:45 pm

Like the guy above me said unless its a big hole that the wind comes through it does'nt matter. Pick the best hiding spot you can with the sun to your back.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting