Gaddie help!

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Gaddie help!

Postby gandergunner » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:01 pm

So me and my buddy have been hunting a public lake and have had trouble finishing gadwall....It has happend 3 or 4 days now, and these are deff different birds because some of the times were a month ago. Our spread usually consist of mallards,blacks, gaddies, and widgion. We only have 2 gaddies and 2 widgion dekes as of now, and then 2 or 3 balck ducks and 3 or 4 mallards, including surface skimmers. We have had the decoys form 25 to 35 yards out and useing a regular hen mallard call. Using some feeder chuckles and quacks. They will cup up and then fly away and do that a few times and circle the decoys and then land 20-30 yards outside the decoys. Would more gadwall decoys, or strictly gadwall decoys help? Maybe but them out 40 yards, but thats a poke and not a fan of taking long shots at all. Everyone uses mallard decoys so we try to not use many at all, but maybe take them out completely? Any suggestions of what to do in a situation like this?
gandergunner
hunter

Re: Gaddie help!

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:42 am

Have you tried not calling.? If you have to use the call once to get their attention, if needed. Then stop calling and let em work, they are probably call shy. If they work for a while and start to leave then call give em a comeback call to get em back in other than that don't call. The #1 problem I notice with 90% of hunters is that they are call happy. Gadwalls decoy really well to just about anything you put out. I doubt its the decoys that are making them flare unless you are you using spinning wing decoys. Make sure that you are hidden really well. I have had gadwalls circle the decoys 30 times before coming in and it happens quite often. Keep your head down, eyes on the birds and don't move.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:58 am

If you have goose floaters run them. Mix them around in the spread or use them as a stopper and target at the top of the spread. Make your spread look kind like a hatchet or J. Honkers at the top and trickle you ducks down from them to make the bottom. Then take two gaddie deeks, I prefer a drake and a hen and place them like two that landed in the hole. Give them a target. If your running spinners pull them back off the hole. If you have goose floater you can jam your spinner down as far in the mud as you can and mix it with them honkers.

At what point do they fly away? when you hit them with the call, stop calling? Spinners on/off? Do the opp of what your trying and vary it up. Have you buddy use the wigeon whistle, you said you got wigeon deeks out. Throw a teal peep at em. Try using single quacks when finishing them and call them all the way in. Ive seen some ducks that have been called in peel out when things all the sudden go quiet.

Good luck, happy holidays
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:57 am

We have shot more gadwall this year then we ever have. We shoot them over mallard and teal decoys. I would suggest you hide well, very well. Also make sure you have some movement. We run at least 1 jerkstring in our spread. Sometimes 2 of them...Hide HIDE HIDE!
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby TooTall » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:59 am

Gadwalls are probably the toughest duck to decoy consistently. Some days they bomb right in, and other days they work and work and work and never finish. They are notorious for working a spread several times, leaving, then randomly dumping in out of the blue an hour later.

My suggestion would be to have patience. Stay hid, and eventually, it may take a while, but you'll get a few.

Good luck,

Garrett
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:09 pm

Are you using a MOJO? Sounds like a typical spinner flaring the birds scenario
duckman27
hunter

Postby Oregonduckhunter12 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:11 am

In my experiences with Gadwalls it has usually just been trying to stay hidden and keeping it simple. We usually just throw out mallards, and they seem to work well. As for calling, we usually do very little, but for the most part it is completely up to the birds. Gadwalls are often random birds and can be very frustrating.
Oregonduckhunter12
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:59 am

I have never really got gadwalls to decoy. I have had them do it a few times, but it was just us sitting there not calling and they come out of nowhere. Usually I let them work and just pass shoot them. They usually want to fly in work and work and work and land wide. But thats my experience with them.
Don't let anybody look down on you because you are young; but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. 1st Timothy 4:12
Started from the bottom, now we here.
I hate gadwalls
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:32 pm

is there anyway to setup where they r lighting ?if you havnt tried this already maybe move ur decoys real close to you just make sure ur covered
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby LanceM » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:08 pm

#1 If the water is flat, run a jerk cord. Nothing looks more unnatural than calm water full of "ducks". This isn't as important if you have a good breeze moving your decoys and chopping the water.
#2 Sit still. Don't jerk your head/hands around. Don't wobble around like a contest caller. And wear a face mask and gloves.
#3 KISS. Ducks aren't hard to kill. They're not the brilliant little Einsteins that some people make them out to be. You don't need a ghillie suit and RNT calls in a thousand dollar pit blind. Don't over think it... You'll never get them all in anyway
LanceM
hunter

Postby T-TOP » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:46 pm

Have made a couple hunts this year with 25 and 30 gadwall this year. We kill more gadwall than anything it seems this year. I have 5 dozen dekes out, 12 are gadwall. Dekes are in species groups, with landing zone right front of blind. They float right in with a feed chuckle, but it seems they really like the widgeon whistle more. The blind is grassed really well and in the shadow of some sea cane.
T-TOP
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:02 pm

Welcome to hunting gadwalls. Even if you do everything perfect, they are going to do this every now and then. The sooner you accept it the easier it will be on your conscience when seeing them land 30 yards outside of gun range.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bubbasblazer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:06 pm

We've had alot this year as well. Get their attention, after that soft quacks and chuckles until it's time to let loose. If they're gonna drop in that will usually do it. Last week we had groups work us hard all morning just outta range then pick up and drop right into the blind down from us and they busted 'em. Waterfowl comes down to 90% being where they wanna be and 10% never giving up trying to find where they wanna be.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:52 am

I started using a gadwall drake call this year and it seems to help. It's not very loud so I use it to finish birds more than anything.

I had the same thing happen to me this morning. They'd circle and circle, just to land about 40 yards out. Two days ago they were finishing into the hole at about 15 yards.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:23 am

By this time of the season most all ducks are prone to being call shy and gadwalls are not an exception. The mention of using a wigeon whistle or a soft gadwall call with success is a good indicator of soft calling coaxing otherwise shy birds into the spread. Just this past weekend we had a pretty sporty gadwall shoot and the hunt turned hot when I started using a drake mallard or teal call.
Sometimes the birds respond well to agressive mallard calling but many times the softer more relaxed calling works much better and a peeping teal or soft wigeon whistle can make all the difference.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Mixing up a few single quacks, mallard drake, and gadwall drake have been really effective for me lately.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby donttreadonme » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:51 pm

koonce727 wrote:Make your spread look kind like a hatchet or J.

It is all about the J spread. Works every time!

The below pictures are the result of a perfectly set J hook spread on new years day. 24 gadwall 3 spooners and a bluebill in 22 minutes. It was fast in your face shooting.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
donttreadonme
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting