help with my western pennsylvania decoy spread

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

help with my western pennsylvania decoy spread

Postby miked412 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi im mike
I'm new to the forum i've been duck/goose hunting for about 4 years but seriously for about 2 years

I hunt pymatuning, hartstown geniva and around pittsburgh ect.

would like to build a nice spread currently i have 15 mallards (11 drakes and 4 hens) in a "j" formation with a jerk rig forming the hook of the J. i have 4 full body goose floaters that i put at the upwind ( the dot of the " j ") i also put out 6 ringneck decoys off to the side just because i have them.
Question what should i add ? i was thinking some black ducks and teal

Do i need more mallard hens?

should i keep the ringnecks?

overall how long (left and right) and deep ( out infront of you) should your spread be?

Thanks for any help and good luck!
miked412
Newb

Re: help with my western pennsylvania decoy spread

Postby vincentpa » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:48 pm

Mike, you would get more responses if you posted this in the PA forum.

My spread changes with the site, migration and who I'm hunting with (even by myself). When I'm hunting out of my Hybrid, I can carry only two dozen. If I go with others, I can carry a lot more.

Early season October, first two weeks: 6 GW teal, 6 BW Teal, 6 wood ducks, 6 mallards. I separate the woodies from the other decoys, putting them closer to shore or brush.
Last two weeks in Octovber: 6 GW teal, 6 wood ducks, 12 mallards.
first two weeks in November and maybe the last week in October, I have 12-18 mallards, 6 GW teal, 6 gadwall set apart from the other decoys, maybe a wigeon or pintail.
Remainder of season: 12-18 mallards, I set 3 or 4 blacks off to the side, I might start to set diver duck decoys, specifically blue bills and I'm going to paint old mallard decoys into redheads. I set 4-6 buffies off to the side somewhere depending on the site and wind.

If I go to a small hole, I only bring a few of what I expect to see. I also set according to what I see scouting and what I'm hearing from other guys. The ring necks you had today have already moved through.

Today, I set about 16 mallards, 3 blacks, and 4 buffies. I also wanted to set a dozen bluebills but couldn't carry them. I had them set in a a sort of J so the ducks could land into the wind.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby miked412 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:11 pm

O thanks vince
miked412
Newb

Postby mcclinj » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:14 pm

I'd leave the Ringnecks out for awhile yet....several dozen of them on the Mon River this morning.

-John
mcclinj
hunter

Postby Blackace1105 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:04 pm

I also hunt western Pa. Right now you are probably going to see primarily Mallards and some divers. New Years day I did get a Shoveler, Mallard, and Goldeneye. I do not put my decoys in any particular pattern. How many times you ever see ducks loafing in the water in any consisent pattern? Ducks are very wise at this time of the year. How many times you think they saw that J pattern this year already? I would mix Blacks if you have them in to your spread. I use Pintails as well, but you probably wont see any of those now. Teal are a good mix in the early season with woodys. My spead is never the same twice, it is always random, depending on where I hunt, and what the ducks are doing. I would have more hens right now because most of the mallards are paired up at this time of year, it will look more natural. Good Luck.
Blackace1105
hunter

Postby sstermer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:35 am

I second the black ducks. Use your scouting to tell you what they are doing. I never use a pattern. Try also mixing in some mallard dekes with different poses, Sleepers and feeders, etc.
Pass the tradition, introduce a child to the outdoors.
sstermer
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting