Teal

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Teal

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:03 am

I have seen and killed more teal this year than I can ever remember. Have any of yall had a record number of teal this season? Usually by now we would be having lots of mallards but yesterday and today there was hardly anything but GWT showing up at our blind. Any thoughts as to what might be going on.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Re: Teal

Postby Fatback » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:38 pm

We had piles of teal up here this year... Seemed like from youth day in sept to just few weeks ago they were around.
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby FowlOffspring » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:12 pm

I've only killed one this year whereas by this time last year, I had killed probably 30. We havent hardly seen any teal at all.
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:41 pm

Sounds like you got ours. Here in Southwest Louisiana greenwings have always been number one in most bags, including ours, but not this year. My blind ended the first split with just 25 greenwings (and 101 mallards). This split we're finally seeing more and have shot 49 to date (and 88 mallards). So teal are still far from being as common as usual.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Sounds like you got ours. Here in Southwest Louisiana greenwings have always been number one in most bags, including ours, but not this year. My blind ended the first split with just 25 greenwings (and 101 mallards). This split we're finally seeing more and have shot 49 to date (and 88 mallards). So teal are still far from being as common as usual.

Same thing here in northwest louisiana usaully lots of teal, nowhere near as many this year. More canada geese this year than I have ever seen here before.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:13 pm

That's something else that's been late showing here: Canadas.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:17 pm

We usually don't get canadas or really any geese except for the migrators that stop for a break, this year we're covered with canadas.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:36 pm

Yall got any snows down in Louisiana? We usually got them laying in thick now but they are hardly here now. Dont know if they just moved on by and didnt stay or what.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:20 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Yall got any snows down in Louisiana? We usually got them laying in thick now but they are hardly here now. Dont know if they just moved on by and didnt stay or what.

Not in northwest la, just canadas.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:13 pm

Lots of snows in SWLA, though nothing like what we had in the years prior to their discovery of good eats in more northern states. The days when they'd fly over everything south of their Swan Lake stopover to get down here are long gone.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby badgreenbird » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:46 pm

decent numbers of g-w teal stayed late around here... right til freeze up.
badgreenbird
hunter

Teal

Postby T-TOP » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:46 pm

Same as what Rick said, we are hunting grand chenier La. Greenwings just starting showing up good.. Still seeing blue wings, more than usual.. And have killed more mallards this year, not the numbers Rick has though.
T-TOP
hunter

Postby Blackace1105 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:39 pm

Up here in Pennsylvania this year where I hunt, we saw huge numbers of Teal Blues & Greens in early October - November. Some days I just let them come and go, I didn't want to continue to limit out on Teals, I was after some variety.
Blackace1105
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting