Pintail help

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Pintail help

Postby ARduckboy24 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:33 pm

I've been after a drake woodie and finally got him now it's a pintail we had big groups of pigtails and mallards that worked but didn't finish And other groups just flew straight over any suggestion to get them to finish we were hunting over 3 dzn mallards and one pintail deke plus a mojo that any ducks that did land tried to land on top off including the only sprig of the day to decoy would more pintail decoys help or anything else.
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Re: Pintail help

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:47 pm

Yes to more pintail decoys. If you set a small group of pintails out to one side that is where the majority of pintails will land. Also, mojos will flare birds especially in the late season. They will work on singles and pairs but will flare larger groups, same with calling in some situations.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:39 pm

Ok ill have about 6 or 7 pintails set out in the moring along with some teal any tips on placement.
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:15 pm

Mix your teal into your mallards, set the pintails to one side in a separate small group. Pintails like to land with their own kind and will commit into a group of pintail decoys faster than into a mixed group.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:04 pm

:thumbsup: What the duck hammer said!
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby beekbuster » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm

went out on christmas day, had a system moving through. lots of birds moving. had over ten groups turn circles over my head but nothing would land. gfd frustrating :mad: . yesterday had three land about 50 yds away got 1 sprig on a hail mary :smile: . had one group turn circles but wouldnt commit. thanks for the advice ill give it a try. and yes the wing decoy did no good. you cant use them til december and thats about when theyre worthless....69$ for lucky duck hen at gandermountain right now. what a deal
beekbuster
Newb

Postby ARduckboy24 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:12 pm

This morning we killed 6 mallards and a Gaddie didn't get to use the extra pintails and teal hunted with group of guys that they use only mallards.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:19 am

Take a look around your surroundings. This reminds me a lot of a pond I hunt on the refuge. It's one of my favorite spots as long as there aren't 5 mud motors driving around. I targeted pintails this year and found a few things while watching them. I saw that they fly in big groups and most were drakes. When they were on the water, they mostly would swim around with the widgeon. In my spread, I mixed them with the widgeon. I didn't land huge flocks but I'd pick off a few from the big flocks and they would come in and the big flock would land in the middle of the pond. I would also be sure that the pintails were landing on my pond. If they weren't, then they always just flew on by without taking a look.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Coasthunter18 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:27 pm

I'm trying to kill my first bull sprig as well and have experinced the same issue this year - birds will circle a time or two but will not finish. This past weekend we had 5-6 different groups circle but never got in range. May try some of the tips in this post regarding changing my spread. We have several dozen pintail decoys in the spread but maybe they are to mixed in with the others.
Coasthunter18
hunter

Postby donttreadonme » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:46 pm

Learn how to run a pintail whistle. I have found here in Utah that pinners are stupid to a guy who knows how to call them.
"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
donttreadonme
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:32 pm

donttreadonme wrote:Learn how to run a pintail whistle. I have found here in Utah that pinners are stupid to a guy who knows how to call them.

I got one and can get it to work a little bit.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting