What to look for?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

What to look for?

Postby Geauxtigers1421 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:41 pm

Hey guys, I'm not extremely new to the forum but I've never really introduced myself to everyone. My name is Blake Peterson, I'm 18 and I hunt southeastern Louisiana for duck and deer. I mainly look around the forum and read all the great things all of you more experienced guys have to say and its helped me out tremendously this season so big thanks to everyone!

Anyways, I've been hunting the same area my whole life and found alot of spots from friends and people I meet around the area and see alot after hunts. I "went scouting" ALOT over the off season (or so I thought I went scouting). All the spots I found that I thought looked good, I havent killed a duck out of all season. I stopped hunting the spots after about 5 trips and not seeing anything near shooting range. I will be going to college in Baton Rouge next year and will have to hunt a different WMA so I will be lost as to where to go and wont have any spots. The main thing I'm asking for is any tips and things to look for while scouting. I'm more than willing to put in the time and effort, I just dont have anyone to give me guidance since nobody else in my family hunts.

Thanks again!
Geauxtigers1421
hunter

Re: What to look for?

Postby Duck Collector » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:10 pm

Just because a spot "looks good" dosent mean ducks like it. Spots you have found might not have food or anything for them to eat. Feeding areas and roost areas are the normaly the best to hunt. drive/walk around and find where the ducks are sting and pattern them or find where they are going regularly. The best way to do it is scout the afternoon before you hunt and find where they are feeding, the first thing they do in the morning is fly from roost to feeding area.
Good luck! :thumbsup:
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:43 pm

I recommend scouting during hunting season. Hunt the morning wherever, watch the ducks and follow them so to speak. Go the way they went and look for them. It may take several days. If you do find them while scouting keep your distance and don't spook them. Then try that spot the next day. However, ducks are always changing their patterns so it takes alot. Thats just part of duck hunting!
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Like everyone else said. You can't scout ducks in the off season. Ducks come and go. They may be there one minute and gone the next. I spend more time scouting during the week then hunting which in turns makes for a very successful hunt. Spend the time and find where the birds are and hunt where they want to be. Just because the hunting was good in one spot one day or weekend doesn't mean it will be the next. I usually try to make it out the night before I hunt scout it out, and hunt it the next morning if it looks promising. If it doesn't look good. I head to a different location the next morning to scout for an evening or the next morning hunt. Sometimes you may not be able to hunt everyday. You may just have to use up some of your time scouting, but it will be worth it in the long run.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby Blackace1105 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:45 pm

I study maps and look for good locations to hunt, then spend a day hunting there to see what happens. Some spots are good early season, some mid, others aren't good until it gets real cold. Takes experience and being there to be successful on a regular basis. Research the ducks you are trying to hunt and have an idea of their habitat and the diet they prefer.
Blackace1105
hunter

What to look for?

Postby Geauxtigers1421 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks for the info guys! Ill have to do some research on public land for hunting around Baton Rouge and hopefully get out there this season and do what you guys said to do, see where the birds are flying and find where they wanna be. Hoping I can get out there soon!
Geauxtigers1421
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:13 am

During the season, I'll scout and find small holes that holds ducks. If I find feathers then I think the ducks will return and frequent that place on a regular basis. Also look for food sources for the ducks.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting