Beginner Help

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Beginner Help

Postby blowe001 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:58 pm

Hello I am very new to waterfowl hunting I have gotten some decoys done alot of reasearch on things so I'm sure ill Learn the Basics as I go I have a newly trained white lab who retreavs well I have found a spot for hunting that seems to be pretty well unhunted by other waterfowlers its just a narrow canal connected to a marsh which I cannot hunt. the canal I hunt is about 10 feet wide at its narrowest.point and about 15 at its widest and maybe 500-600 yards long there is one side stream that is just a little creek if you will there are ALWAYS mallards there in January this being my first year hunting it I go there and the duck are already there feeding and I seem to spook them every time so I sit down and wait but they never come back I have tried comeback calls hail calls feeding calls and whistles and have tried just not calling at all but they never come back any advice on what to try or do differently I'm pretty confident in my calls I know I'm still learning so I don't think they are the best but certainly not too bad I have called black ducks a handful of times at a different place any advice would be great thank you let me know if I left anything out that you may need to know
blowe001
Newb

Re: Beginner Help

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Are you going on evening hunts? If so try hunting it in the morning, get there before day light, find a good hiding spot and wait. If you spooked them up than they already saw you and aren't going to respond to the calls. Gadwall, teal and divers will often times come back to calling like that but not mallards. When you get there in the morning since they are already coming in, don't call unless you have to.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Re: Beginner Help

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Get there before the birds do. Sit, wait, and shoot them when they come in.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting