Decoy HELP

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Decoy HELP

Postby waterfowlchaser123 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:44 am

I am hunting right on the main river and im in the general area the ducks wanna be because if i see a duck its headed right for my spot but i just cant get them to commit, they always circle 3 or 4 times out of range and just sit down on the water about 100 or more yards from me?? :help:
waterfowlchaser123
hunter

Decoy HELP

Postby hankyorke » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 am

Put your call away
hankyorke
hunter

Re: Decoy HELP

Postby kbooger » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:27 am

How's your calling? How well brushed in are you? Is your face covered are you keeping pretty still?

If your calling is ok and you are doing everything else right then they might be the local birds that have been shot at. They know where not to go. After a while many of them learn just to go out to the middle of the lake. Its quite interesting to watch a few ducks (I've seen geese do it too) fly around 4 other groups of guys and their decoys only to land out in the middle.

Only thing I could suggest is add motion, but on the river (and I assume moving water) that shouldn't be an issue. Maybe try more or less decoys?

Another thing to keep in mind is if you are hunting the same exact spot every day. Maybe move 100 yards down to where you saw them.
kbooger
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:07 pm

Also are you sizing your spread to the number of ducks that are in the area or in flocks? Sometimes decreasing a spread will make birds commit better...and sometimes increasing the number of blocks will do the same. You might try moving a bit and adjusting the size and layout of the decoys.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:45 pm

Stop calling, hide better, don't move your head and keep your face down or try setting up where they are ligthing at.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:34 pm

put out fewer decoys use a jerk rig
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby tbreen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:17 pm

jack lowe wrote:put out fewer decoys use a jerk rig

A jerk rig is going to do you no good on a river with current. I try another type of motion device, particularly a spinner!
tbreen
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:05 pm

tbreen wrote:

A jerk rig is going to do you no good on a river with current. I try another type of motion device, particularly a spinner!

spinners do more damage then good an i hunt a big river the majority of the time and jerk rigs do just fine in a current an unless he is hunting class 4 rapids he wont have to worry about a jerk rig not workin in a current
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby Jake S » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:03 pm

how wide is the river? when I hunt narrow rivers (20-30 yards across) I normally put decoys across the whole river and sit alittle downwind. I put a few singles and pairs in front of me on either side of the river. Most birds will come and land infront of the line of decoys.
Jake S
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:48 pm

tbreen wrote:

I use a jerk rig all the time on a river. No problems....

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:58 pm

Set your decoys up .... then set you blinds up where the birds are landing..................... Sometimes being in the decoys isn't always the best option.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby kbooger » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:36 pm

xtrema13 wrote:
tbreen wrote:

Sent from my Super Mag

Do you really need to though? Doesn't the river give your decoys enough motion all by themselves?
kbooger
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:14 pm

kbooger wrote:
xtrema13 wrote:
tbreen wrote:

Sent from my Super Mag

Do you really need to though? Doesn't the river give your decoys enough motion all by themselves?

Jerk it all the time!
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:17 pm

all i know is that jerk rigs work 90 percent of the time when im huntin dosnt matter were u use em cause when i pull that string it looks like ducks movin around on the water an it just makes the spread look real thats the hole thang in a nut shell
jack lowe
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:37 pm

kbooger wrote:
xtrema13 wrote:
tbreen wrote:

Sent from my Super Mag

It looks even better than the decoys moving with the river..

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby dysco » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:51 pm

How fast is the river? How wide? How many decoys are you using? How many birds are flying in each group? Are they usually going up or downriver, or both?
dysco
hunter

Postby noweil » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:49 am

Sounds like the river we been hunting for years. Lots of ducks and did not want to land or swim into the duck decoys. However they love Canada goose decoys. They will land in the goose decoys most of the time but if they do land outside the goose decoys they will swim right in. My goose decoys are the most effective duck decoys I own.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting