A spot worth checking out? Need some advice

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Postby Catchin Zs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:25 pm

I am debating on whether or not to check this place out in the morning before shooting time. As you can see, it has some powerlines, but I've heard it isn't such a big deal to have them around. I have permission to hunt here. Don't think it's ever been hunted. If this is a spot y'all think is worth checking out, would I be better off watching the larger body of water, or going back into the woods where there is a little more cover for the ducks? Other than ducks, what else do I need to look for? Food sources? Should I try any calling? I think I will park a few hundred yards away from the water so that my truck is out of sight and I'll just watch from atop my toolbox. :biggrin: Any insight would be great!
Catchin Zs
hunter

Re: A spot worth checking out? Need some advice

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:28 pm

Looks ducky to me... I'd give it a look
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Is it marsh or timber? If its marsh i would say the main, larger body of water. Timber i can be no help, never hunted that enviorment! Sorry!!!
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Catchin Zs » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:00 pm

Timber. Went out there this morning and here's what happened:
5 or so minutes after shooting time, I hear a loud wood duck whistle, then next thing I know I see a group of 6 or 7 fly into the woods from this spot, where the arrow is Does this mean they were roosting right in here and went further inland to find food? Walked further back in there along the powerlines to find that it's a creek flowing to the left of where I took this pic. Just trying to get a better idea of where and when to hit 'em!
Catchin Zs
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Catchin Zs wrote:Timber. Went out there this morning and here's what happened:
5 or so minutes after shooting time, I hear a loud wood duck whistle, then next thing I know I see a group of 6 or 7 fly into the woods from this spot, where the arrow is Does this mean they were roosting right in here and went further inland to find food? Walked further back in there along the powerlines to find that it's a creek flowing to the left of where I took this pic. Just trying to get a better idea of where and when to hit 'em!

Watch them woodies!! They will scare the sh*t out of you!
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Ztkirkpatric » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:23 pm

Wood ducks will go into the timber... Flooded hardwood timber is just about all I hunt... Mallards and woodies love it. It looks more like a slough to me than flooded timber... But if it floods out into the woods I guess that's the same thing...

What kind of timber is it? Look for acorns floating, if they are oaks mallards will use it...
Ztkirkpatric
hunter

Postby Catchin Zs » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:41 pm

Pretty sure they're oaks. They did scare me! Comin' outta nowhere like that... :eek:
Catchin Zs
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:39 am

It would probably help to know where you are located, but I would definitely try it, and I would go on the bigger body of water. That is going to be you best vantage for scouting. Treat the first hunt like a scouting mission. Don't go in thinking your going to kill a limit. Pack lite and set up where every you can see the most area. hunt it for a morning. Nothing else you should have a damn good idea where you need to be the next day.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:56 am

Catchin Zs wrote:Pretty sure they're oaks. They did scare me! Comin' outta nowhere like that... :eek:

Its really bad when you are hunting and they fly from behind you over head and when their 10 yards behind you and whistle like that! :tongue:
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Catchin Zs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:53 pm

Think I'm gonna try and hunt it one day next week. At least I know ducks are back in there! Should I throw out dekes or just not worry about it? I really appreciate the help guys! Hopefully this will be a spot to slay the wood chickens :hammer:
Catchin Zs
hunter

Postby Ztkirkpatric » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Throw out just a few... 6-10
Ztkirkpatric
hunter

Postby fowlhabit87 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:07 pm

Looks like the powerlines running through the green swamp..the woodies won't land under them lines..they will hit the timber beside the lines and swim out but ur best bet is 100 yards off either side of the power lines..try that and u should wack
Whackin and stackin and always packin
fowlhabit87
hunter

Postby Catchin Zs » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks for the advice bud. I'm thinking about giving it a try this week
Catchin Zs
hunter

Postby fowlplay56 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:39 pm

I would have to say that its probably a better early season spot. I have powerlines on one of my spots here that just cross the river but the birds always error on the side of caution this time of year and go above them when working, and most dont work because there to concerned about whats in their path and least concerned with the group of decoys on the water. Woodies are low early/late flyers anyway and might bag a few, but gotta say the big ducks are gonna be a bit harder to decoy with lines overhead. Just what Ive experienced.
fowlplay56
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting