Duck Hunting Forum banner

what the heck did I shoot?pics and apology added

2K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Ztkirkpatric 
#1 ·
This is my 2nd year hunting ducks....1st year out on my onw. My duck ID ain't up to snuff so I need some expert help. I 1st thought it was a red head. But the bill is wrong....long slender and black as coal. So then I though Canvas back. But the eyes are golden yellow not red and not a pure white belly....flecks of grey on belly and back. I got cell phone picks but don't know how to post em. Anyone got a idea. Thanks and I'm new here...1st post.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Like I said. I thought it was a red head when I shot.but it don't seem to fit either ID. I assume ur a 30 year hunter and never missed....or was EVER unsure. If I don't have a limit and it says QUACK...ill shoot what I want. If this is the help you offer. Thanks but no thanks.

#5 ·
skinin_bonz said:
Like I said. I thought it was a red head when I shot.but it don't seem to fit either ID. I assume ur a 30 year hunter and never missed....or was EVER unsure. If I don't have a limit and it says QUACK...ill shoot what I want. If this is the help you offer. Thanks but no thanks.
Be careful shooting what you want, ducks are federally protected. If you get checked and have over the limit or anything else that is illegal when hunting migratory bird you will be charged federally.

#6 ·
I would have figured a Free Mason would be a little more helpful to their fellow man. He said it was his second year hunting ducks. I am sure you never shot at a duck on a rainy morning that you hadn't ID'D due to poor light. I have not been on this forum long and won't stay much longer. A lot of the members on here are flat ass rude to their fellow brothers in arms. What a shame.

#7 ·
MallardDrakes said:
I would have figured a Free Mason would be a little more helpful to their fellow man. He said it was his second year hunting ducks. I am sure you never shot at a duck on a rainy morning that you hadn't ID'D due to poor light. I have not been on this forum long and won't stay much longer. A lot of the members on here are flat ass rude to their fellow brothers in arms. What a shame.
I was trying to be helpful, in saying that it may be a merg and in saying be careful not to get in trouble with the law. No I won't shoot a duck unless I know what it is, for that matter, I'm not going to shoot at anything that I'm not 100% sure what it is and whats behind and around it. I don't want problems with the law that could tarnish my fraternity or jeopardize my license that I use to work, which happens to be federal as well. I wasn't trying to be rude, just helpful on more than just identifying a bird. I am also tryin to help the guy keep his license to hunt, all his hunting gear, and the ability own a gun. The law doesn't play around with illegal waterfowl hunting. I apologize if I came off as rude or anything but helpful in this situation. Now that you my reasoning behind what I said, I hope you will take it differently.

#8 ·
I see your reasoning behind it, and I understand that sometimes things just come out the wrong way. I do understand your concern with the federal law and safety of the situation, and honor those same written and unwritten rules myself. I hope you can see my side also, that standing on common ground, through a fraternal organization or hunting ducks that we all need to be a little more willing to help out a new member of another great fraternity....duck hunting!

#9 ·
MallardDrakes said:
I see your reasoning behind it, and I understand that sometimes things just come out the wrong way. I do understand your concern with the federal law and safety of the situation, and honor those same written and unwritten rules myself. I hope you can see my side also, that standing on common ground, through a fraternal organization or hunting ducks that we all need to be a little more willing to help out a new member of another great fraternity....duck hunting!
I tried, this was my first post on the op
rebelp74 said:
sounds like a merganser possibly, not sure though without pics. You could also try not shooting it if you don't know what it is.

#10 ·
MallardDrakes said:
Nice first post criticizing someone who was trying to help ID and prevent future mishaps. :no:

#11 ·
The Duck Hammer said:
MallardDrakes said:
Nice first post criticizing someone who was trying to help ID and prevent future mishaps. :no:
I didn't realize it was his first post, way to get started :eek:
To the OP the way to upload pics on here is to: look below and to the left of the submit button where you would type a post. Click the Upload attachment tab browse your phone or computer to find the pic you want, select the pic by tapping or clicking on it and then click the add the file button. Then submit your post and you got it.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
20130108090116.jpg
20130108090116.jpg
I started off beimg an ass ...so I sorry. I did take a few ofb the post wrong. I spoke with my local fish n game officer over the phone and he thought it was a canvasback . I was not close to my bag limit and a red head and c back surely have been mistaken in flight before me. I was hoping to hear if ducks hybrid...or it might of been a immatuer bull. I really didn't mean to start up a pissing match. Mhy going to try to post the pics I have. If it is a canvas back...we don't get many here. So I'm concidering a mount. I'm new to ducks...not hunting. I don't shoot 1st ask later normaly. But when it hit the water...it just didn't look lmike either too me so I wanted the oppinion of the guys that have seen and done it all. Back and belly shots. Eyes are golden yellow. Black bill. Flat...no lil hook like a red head

Attachments

#17 ·
That straight line, from the top of the head right on down the bill is the best feature. An unmistakable can profile. But canvasbacks and redheads can be hard to tell apart on the wing, especially for beginners. Anyone can make a mistake but you'd do well to lay off the "I'll shoot what I want" rhetoric. I'm big on offering newbies all the help I can, but outlaws do our sport no good. We are often under a magnifying glass and that is why some things are criticized here, not to make a personal attack. Welcome to the sport and good luck!

#18 ·
I didnt intend to start off this way, but the previous topics I had read were rude and unhelpful as well. So please forgive me for speaking up, I just dont like when a man asks a question and catches flack for it. I wasnt being critical of anyone, especially someone in this fraternity. I am done with this subject. Hope everyone has a great day! Be safe. :hammer:

#19 ·
That's a great looking canvasback. It's usually a sought out trophy by a lot of hunters. I'd stick it on the wall. I would also start trying to identify birds a little more. I see why you shot though. Where there's not a protected duck in my part, I shoot all ducks until they count towards a bag limit. For example, in my state we can only shoot one canvasback. As soon as I shoot one, I pay closer attention to what I shoot. After one pintail, I try to have a positive ID on the birds to not shoot over the limit. Go to the Delta waterfowl and Ducks Unlimited websites and look at their duck ID pages. They got some great stuff.

#21 ·
Thanks for the comments all. I actually do have the du app on my phone and I did mis identify this bird for a redhead in flight. But the reason I couldn't ID it on the ground was the eyes. Everything I've read says red eyes on a canvasback. So that when I jboined here and asked. I got my feathers ruffeled when I. Got the first few replys. But apoligies have been. Made noone yet has told me why this bird has yellow eyes. I wondered if ducks hybrid w similar species. But I am deffinataly a lucky new guy....and will mount this one. My son is 10 and has shot his 1st mallard and canada goose this year. So were gonna be regulars at the taxidermy shop.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.