Wood Duck Hunting Question

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Wood Duck Hunting Question

Postby MississippiDuckman06 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Hey guys, last week I was hunting a little hole that I hunt at times when in need of a good wood duck shoot. Me and a buddy ended up killing most of our limits. It was a nice cool morning (for here in Mississippi) and the ducks were dipping and diving through the hardwoods surrounding the creek bed I was hunting. However, we could see through a gap in the hardwoods that woodies were absolutely swarming a little pond that was out in the middle of a fairly large cutover. So this past weekend me and the same buddy went out and hunted the pond but only killed a few and didnt see near as many ducks as we had seen hitting the whole a few days back. Due to the extreme change in weather conditions here in Mississippi, it was a lot warmer the morning we hunted the pond where we had seen the ducks swarming only a few days before. Was it the warm weather that effected the number of ducks coming to the pond or could it have just been one of those days where the ducks just weren't flying? I just don't know what to think about it knowing that only a few days earlier ducks were coming in flock after flock but that when we hunted it, there were only a couple to be seen. Any feedback will be great. Thanks.
MississippiDuckman06
Newb

Re: Wood Duck Hunting Question

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:49 am

question did all the duck that you saw come into the hole or did alot flair cause i would think that if you were seeing the ducks and they were flairing there was something wrong with the spread but it not and most of the ducks you saw came to the hole them maybe the others migrated on or found a new hole with more food.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby MississippiDuckman06 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:51 pm

The ducks just weren't paying any attention to the hole at all and were going down on other holes not too far from the pond. But the problem was that the ducks just didnt seem to be there in the same numbers as they were in the days before.
MississippiDuckman06
Newb

Postby duckman27 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:56 pm

With woodies it seems like you're better off with less decoys. If they want to be on the pond then don't put decoys out. Without decoys it looks exactly thr same as it did all the other days that they have used it
duckman27
hunter

Postby Nado » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:43 pm

Could somebody else have hunted it before you got there?

Woodies are pretty predictable if you've got them pegged for multiple days before....but they can get scarce quick once they get busted out of a little cut/hole.
Nado
hunter

Postby MississippiDuckman06 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:55 pm

Me and my buddy are the only ones that hunt there and we go at the same time. I'm thinking it was the extremely warm weather that kept the ducks flying to a minimum altogether. I'm goin back to the hole this coming weekend and gonna just see how it goes. It's supposed to be pretty cold for here.
MississippiDuckman06
Newb

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting