Greenheads with no curl

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Greenheads with no curl

Postby jc_182002 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:00 pm

hey guys, we have ran across many a greenhead without curl feathers this year. also my buddy killed a pintail drake with no sprigs. I am curious about this. does anyone know why these birds do not have curls/sprigs? At first I thought it may have been a young mallard but then we killed on that has no doubt about it been around awhile and he has 0 curls as well :huh:
jc_182002
hunter

Re: Greenheads with no curl

Postby steelheadslayer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Been a wierd year in regards to coloring of different birds. In early November I killed a pintail drake that had late season coloring with a super nice sprig tail. Shot one last week that looked great in the air. Dog brought it back and it had no sprigs with brown hen coloring from the neck all the way down to the stomach. Same hunt early November, mallard drake with 3 curls and just awesome January coloring. Couple weeks ago, shot another one with 1 curl and looked to be in eclipse still.

Just been a different type of season for me and many others I know!
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Re: Greenheads with no curl

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:11 am

I've shot about 12 pintail this year and not one had a sprig. I was told by a taxidermist that they lose their sprigs. I'm not sure about mallard curls though.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting