Is a 10 gauge a bit overkill on ducks!? I think so...

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Is a 10 gauge a bit overkill on ducks!? I think so...

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:39 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Greenheadindy wrote:I couldn't imagine shooting a 10 gauge day in and day out. 3.5" shells out of my 12 gauge are even too much for me. Hunted with them once and the first shot pushed me back off the bucket I was sitting on and I landed in the cold swamp (not to mention the bruise it left on my shoulder). I went back to 3" #2's and don't plan on ever changing again.

My browning gold 10ga kicks less than my benelli nova, benelli sbe2, and rem. 870 with 3" shells. The 10's are much heavier than the 12's resulting in less recoil.

My Mag 10 weighs almost 12 pounds. Doesnt kick at all, more of a gentle push. My Nova will knock the crap out of me with 3 1/2's. Dont shoot 12 ga 3 1/2's any more.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby tbreen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:11 pm

I shoot a SBEII with a Kick High Flyer Full choke tube. I only shoot 2 3/4 in #2 shot. If you can't kill a bird with that set up, you either can't hit them, or they're out of range. A 10 ga is completely overkill for any kind of waterfowling, so are 3 1/2 rounds, all you're going to do is hurt yourself :lol3:
tbreen
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:19 pm

That's what everyone says! 38inches huhhhh!!??? I'm tellin ya I watched my dad shoot a goose on the other side of the rock river just to see if he could lol it killed it one shot about (120 yards) he's not that kind of hunter but he just wanted to see if it was possible!
Jack it up, fat chicks can't jump!
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:45 pm

LETEMWORK21 wrote:That's what everyone says! 38inches huhhhh!!??? I'm tellin ya I watched my dad shoot a goose on the other side of the rock river just to see if he could lol it killed it one shot about (120 yards) he's not that kind of hunter but he just wanted to see if it was possible!

that is in no way a reflection of the gun. I don't care what shotgun your using, with the exception of maybe a punt gun, you can't kill a bird at that distance without extreme luck and very large pellets like T shot.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:49 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
LETEMWORK21 wrote:That's what everyone says! 38inches huhhhh!!??? I'm tellin ya I watched my dad shoot a goose on the other side of the rock river just to see if he could lol it killed it one shot about (120 yards) he's not that kind of hunter but he just wanted to see if it was possible!

that is in no way a reflection of the gun. I don't care what shotgun your using, with the exception of maybe a punt gun, you can't kill a bird at that distance without extreme luck and very large pellets like T shot.

It was probably lead buckshot.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:00 pm

Okay okay maybe not 120 so give or take some yards it was a good 85+ I seen it with my own two eyes ill pattern it with weekend at varying distances for shits and giggles for you guys you gotta remember its a 38 inch barrel full choke with 3 1/2 BB At 98 bbs per shot its gonna reach out there
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:52 am

10ga is my fav pheasant gun.

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:38 am

I hope that's a joke! Lol
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby tripleb » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:41 am

rebelp74 wrote:Depends on the range that you are shooting them at.

And, it also depends on the choke and load you're using. If you reload, you can find steel shot loads as light as 1 1/4 oz.. I usually use a 1 3/8 oz. load in my BPS10, for ducks and have been doing that this year for geese too. The chief advantage of using the 10ga is that you can usually get good patterns with virtually any fast steel shot load. That's not true with the 12ga.. With the 12ga. you often have to experiment by trying different loads and chokes which work well. The worst patterns I get from my 10ga. are usually better than the best I get from my 12ga. and I'm talking only about ones where the shot charges are fairly equivalent in weight.
tripleb
hunter

Postby tripleb » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:50 am

NuffDaddy wrote:

That's not entirely true, the luck part is .... the T shot ... not necessarily so. Once, many years ago, I was hunting with a couple friends of mine, pass shooting geese. That day, I had forgotten to bring my hunting license with me, as it was attached to another gun case. So, instead of shooting, I ran the Ranging 1000 rangefinder. There were geese passing over between 110 to 120 yards up. I told my friends that they were too high to shoot, but one fellow who was quite good at taking long range shots, pulled up anyway and fired two shots from his Moss. 835, using a factory 1 9/16 oz. load of BB's. Down came two geese. One was wing broke and we had a dickens of a time finding it, while the other was hit in the head or neck as it came down dead, head folded over it's back. But .... it was two luck shots .... good luck for the shooter because the patterns are very very thin at that range and bad luck for the geese for a pellet to find a wingbone on one and the spine or head on the other. Anyone contemplating taking such long shots ought to try patterning their guns/loads at that range and see for themselves how small the odds are of a pellet hitting a vital spot on a bird.

It's very hard to get good patterns with steel shot past 50 yards, so I try to limit my shots to that range, even under the best of conditions.
tripleb
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:53 am

tripleb wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:

That's not entirely true, the luck part is .... the T shot ... not necessarily so. Once, many years ago, I was hunting with a couple friends of mine, pass shooting geese. That day, I had forgotten to bring my hunting license with me, as it was attached to another gun case. So, instead of shooting, I ran the Ranging 1000 rangefinder. There were geese passing over between 110 to 120 yards up. I told my friends that they were too high to shoot, but one fellow who was quite good at taking long range shots, pulled up anyway and fired two shots from his Moss. 835, using a factory 1 9/16 oz. load of BB's. Down came two geese. One was wing broke and we had a dickens of a time finding it, while the other was hit in the head or neck as it came down dead, head folded over it's back. But .... it was two luck shots .... good luck for the shooter because the patterns are very very thin at that range and bad luck for the geese for a pellet to find a wingbone on one and the spine or head on the other. Anyone contemplating taking such long shots ought to try patterning their guns/loads at that range and see for themselves how small the odds are of a pellet hitting a vital spot on a bird.

It's very hard to get good patterns with steel shot past 50 yards, so I try to limit my shots to that range, even under the best of conditions.

All it takes is that one pellet in the head and that goose is going down or even break a wing I don't condone skybusting but if your a good shot knowing your leads at varrying ranges you can kill at long shots most people would think would be insane but luck also helps too!
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby 1Luckytiger » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:33 am

Now guys, it is proven fact that a "shorter" stack of the same volume of shot will pattern better. Thus, 1 3/8 oz. of steel will pattern better from a 10 than a 12. Or any size shot of the same volume. If you can get th' lead down....one can consistently kill loafing/passing ducks/geese at 60 yards with big shot from a 10.....especially using heavy shot...you can go on out to 65 yards if that's all you got. :beer:
1Luckytiger
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:59 am

LETEMWORK21 wrote:I hope that's a joke! Lol

Of course lol

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby shooter2 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:23 am

also he sure as hell does not need BBs for ducks. maybe if youre skybusting. but i have yet to find a duck i cant kill with 3 shot. youd eb amazed by the holes in your pattern at 40yds with bbs. i can shoot 2s and kill ducks and geese all day with a 12ga and 3" shells. hell for woodies and teal. i shoot 2 3/4" 6s or 4s so yes thats absurdly overkill
shooter2
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:37 pm

shooter2 wrote:also he sure as hell does not need BBs for ducks. maybe if youre skybusting. but i have yet to find a duck i cant kill with 3 shot. youd eb amazed by the holes in your pattern at 40yds with bbs. i can shoot 2s and kill ducks and geese all day with a 12ga and 3" shells. hell for woodies and teal. i shoot 2 3/4" 6s or 4s so yes thats absurdly overkill

10 ga's pattern larger shot completely different than your 12 ga. Where as with a 12 you have holes in your pattern a 10 with throw a good solid pattern. I shoot BBs out of my 10 and kill ducks no problem. Yes 3's will kill a duck just as well as BBs but sometimes it depends on the way the gun shoots over what size shot you use. I would guess that you have never used a 10 to kill ducks before.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:52 pm

There was a time when lead shot could not match the performance we get today with modern steel shot. Back in the 1880s and 1890s lead shot was soft, very soft. Most knowledgeable shooters of the day were aware that if you increased the payload without increasing the bore diameter, you faced a proposition of rapidly diminishing returns. Trying to shoot evan an ounce an a half of lead shot in a 12ga was pretty much considered wasteful folly. Truly long range waterfowling, even with the new fangled choke, was achievable only with larger bores. Typically, a 12ga shot between 1 and 1 1/8oz. A 10 bore was needed to handle 1 1/4oz and an 8 was used with 1 1/2. The black powder that was used produced a violent ignition that deformed a lot of shot. It wasn't intil manufacturers started developing progressive powders, super wadding and adding antimony to the shot that the 12ga became a viable duck gun.

The bottom line is that it isn't the size of the bore, but the payload that matters, up to a point. For small to medium puddle ducks, typical loads used in todays' 10 ga are probably over kill, though I don't ever remember killing a duck too dead. For large puddle ducks, all but the smallest divers and geese, the 10 ga is really king, regardless of what the 12ga roman candle boys would have you believe. I don't currently own a 10 ga, but I wish I did.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby fuzzytail » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:13 pm

Some people drive ford focus. Some people dive Lincolns. You can only killem so DEAD guys.............
fuzzytail
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:05 am

tripleb wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:Depends on the range that you are shooting them at.

And, it also depends on the choke and load you're using. If you reload, you can find steel shot loads as light as 1 1/4 oz.. I usually use a 1 3/8 oz. load in my BPS10, for ducks and have been doing that this year for geese too. The chief advantage of using the 10ga is that you can usually get good patterns with virtually any fast steel shot load. That's not true with the 12ga.. With the 12ga. you often have to experiment by trying different loads and chokes which work well. The worst patterns I get from my 10ga. are usually better than the best I get from my 12ga. and I'm talking only about ones where the shot charges are fairly equivalent in weight.

I agree 100%. I decided to use mine all year this year. Other than the early wood duck season. I had almost zero cripples. I still kept my shots inside of 45yds, and used #2's on geese, brant, and duck. Very good patterns in both steel and my handloaded tungsten loads.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Previous

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting