Should I rip out beaver dams??

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Should I rip out beaver dams??

Postby Goose Doctors » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:53 pm

My buddies and I have had a few disagreements on this topic, and haven't really gotten the answer I need. My question is should I rip out beaver dams on my grandma and grampas creek? It's a pretty shallow creek about 10-12 feet wide, and on their property there are 7 beavers dams on it. I use to jump it for wood ducks a few years ago but since the beaver dams have popped up I haven't seen a single wood duck on their. I'm just looking to make one of my old hotspots back to how it was. Are the beaver dams scaring them away? To me it seems the dams aren't making the creek any wider since the banks are high it's just making it deeper before the dams and even more shallow after the dams, in some places the water is only a few inches deep. Should I rip them all out and have a consistent flow of water through the whole creek? I don't know what to do in this situation
Goose Doctors
hunter

Re: Should I rip out beaver dams??

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:28 pm

If they aren't giving you more surface area of the water then take em out. Since there isn't and ducks in the area it definately wouldn't hurt anything.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Start from downstream and work your way up breaking em all down. Then sit out there just before dark at the most used pond with a .22 and plink as many as you can or you'll be breaking dams every day for the next month.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby tbreen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:58 pm

I'd rip them all out except the furthest down stream, or the one most likely to create a pool. If you can get a big pool started where some acorns will drop in, them woodies will be all over it in no time!
tbreen
hunter

Postby Goose Doctors » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:53 am

tbreen wrote:I'd rip them all out except the furthest down stream, or the one most likely to create a pool. If you can get a big pool started where some acorns will drop in, them woodies will be all over it in no time!

That's exactly what my strategy was going to be. There's some good sized oaks overhanging the creek where the last dam is and I figured if I could plug it up and get a big pool there that it would be perfect. :thumbsup:
Goose Doctors
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:47 am

Just make sure it is legal in your state...
muskyduck
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:00 pm

You could also try putting up some wooduck boxes. It's possible the beaves have cut down the trees the ducks were nesting in.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Goose Doctors » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:37 pm

I didn't even think about that, all the dams are about 20 yards or less apart so I'm sure that has something to do with it.
Goose Doctors
hunter

Postby bones498 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:59 pm

If you don't kill them all your hard work removing the dams will be for nothing. I learned the hard way a few years back... I took me and a buddy all day to break down a good sized dam blocking a small feeder channel for a backwater pond and it was all but back to normal the next morning.
bones498
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:15 pm

bones498 wrote:If you don't kill them all your hard work removing the dams will be for nothing. I learned the hard way a few years back... I took me and a buddy all day to break down a good sized dam blocking a small feeder channel for a backwater pond and it was all but back to normal the next morning.

yup. Gotta sit there or cover the dam in traps after you break it down.

NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Goose Doctors » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:29 pm

The next morning?! This is gunna be an all day and night operation lol. Destroy dams by day post up with the 22 and some redbulls to keep me up at night
Goose Doctors
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:12 pm

Goose Doctors wrote:The next morning?! This is gunna be an all day and night operation lol. Destroy dams by day post up with the 22 and some redbulls to keep me up at night

you'd be amazed the work a few beavers can do in a single night. I've had them rebuild a 6 foot dam in a single night.

NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby bones498 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:01 pm

Yep, we finished just before sunset and I went back at 10 am to do some more removal and it looked like we never touched it. Those things are building machines!!
bones498
hunter

Postby Goose Doctors » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:18 pm

thanks for the help guys, after it warms up above the single digits next week I'll devote a day to it!
Goose Doctors
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting