Do puddlers avoid coots?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Do puddlers avoid coots?

Postby Freezer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:56 pm

I hunt a refuge and try to make my spred a little different than the other spreds out there. I've hunted the blinds a lot this years and noticed the coots avoid the blinds. That said I added a couple old coot decoys to my spred. I would like to add a half dozen and an egret next year. Coots are small and don't take a lot of room. Will pudlers land where coots are hanging out?
Last edited by Freezer on Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freezer
hunter

Re: Do puddlers avoid coots?

Postby Tipsntails7 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:03 pm

yes
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby 1Luckytiger » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Hellllll yes...puddlers luv 'em..and use them as a sign there is plenty of vegetation! I have seen wigeon and gadwalls let a coot dive down and come up with a wad of grass only to steal it from th' poor Bastid...true story that be!!!! If you hunt on big water you better have some 'cause the ducks are thinkin' "what's up with this" no coots? :thumbsup:
1Luckytiger
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:45 am

Have you ever had to compete with coots? They will suck all the ducks away from your spread. Coots are hard to compete with. If they are on the same wetland you are hunting you better drive them off if you can. I hunt pretty small spreads. When hunting little water holes with coots around I'll throw 1-2 dozen coot decoys and 5 or 6 puddle duck decoys. Killed lots of ducks that way in a couple states we hunt. If there aren't coots in the area I don't worry about the coot decoys.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:48 am

Widgeon and Gadwall target coots and steal their food as another poster mentioned.
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby Freezer » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:19 pm

There are a lot of coot where I hunt. Like I said generally they avoid the blinds probible been conditioned to stay away. That's why I was woundering if a few coot decoys would get the atention/confidence od more weary ducks. They're not very big and won't take a lot of room in my decoy bag. Black and white are very visible and I was thinking it may help.
Freezer
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:25 pm

This puddler, and literally thousands of others, should have avoided coots:
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby TnRiceFarmer » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:00 pm

Some of my best hunts have been over live coots that have kept a hole open in the ice. Crazy things stayed there while I shot mallards over them.
TnRiceFarmer
hunter

Postby Willie » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:13 pm

Agree with all above. Up til this season, I was only using 6 coots, but found a bunch of cheap decoys on Craigslist last spring and painted 50 of them into coots. I Texas rigged most of them and used them most days I hunted this year.
Last Saturday the wind was blowing hard, so I put all 50 in a tight group and we had a heck of a hunt. Bluebills and teal.
Around here most people just put out a bunch of bb's and can decoys, so the black of the coot decoys looks a lot different than what everyone else is doing.
Willie
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:55 pm

Coots are good, we've been adding more of them every year. If your area has big rafts of them use em. Later in the season where we hunt they seem to leave my spot, then we stop using them.
rikasam2013
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting