Head pop off?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Head pop off?

Postby skybusterbob » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:09 am

Has anyone ever shot a duck and it's head pop off? Sure I have seen it on hunting videos like Foiles but then again the birds were 10 feet away. Well anyways was hunting a cornfield the other day and my buddy and I were just pounding the greenheads. We called in a flock and we both dumped a green head with first shot and I swung and fired on another greenhead and his head just seperated and popped off his body. It was bizarre considering the range was about 35-40 yards. I was shooting goose loads(BB's) because I didn't bring enough duck loads and I don't know if that had anything to do with it. First time in my life I've seen that.
skybusterbob
hunter

Re: Head pop off?

Postby m.teeter » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:27 am

I've seen it done in woodie swamps where the shooting is extremely tight. Also seen wood ducks shot almost completely in two.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:45 am

m.teeter wrote:I've seen it done in woodie swamps where the shooting is extremely tight. Also seen wood ducks shot almost completely in two.

I can see it happening there but this was at a longer range (35-40 yds) and it was a perfect cut right on the white ring of the greenhead. Looked like BB's hit the spine causing more damage.
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:46 pm

That is crazy at that distance. Can't say I've ever seen it done that far.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby sloth » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:53 pm

how old were the shot shells you were using. i ask because a few years back i seen a duck that looked like it was shot with a slug. it turns out the rounds were from last season and they had gotten wet, steel + water = rust. the pellets had rusted together inside the shot shell and ended coming out as a steel slug-ish. if you had gotten them wet at any point it is possible for this to have happened. maybe not a one piece but a few stuck together can do some crazy damage.
DU Member
YAT-YAS
USMC '04-'12
sloth
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:30 pm

sloth wrote:how old were the shot shells you were using. i ask because a few years back i seen a duck that looked like it was shot with a slug. it turns out the rounds were from last season and they had gotten wet, steel + water = rust. the pellets had rusted together inside the shot shell and ended coming out as a steel slug-ish. if you had gotten them wet at any point it is possible for this to have happened. maybe not a one piece but a few stuck together can do some crazy damage.

Shells are about 5 years old. Federal blue box 3.5 BB which I was shooting when I ran out of duck loads. You may be right becasue another greenhead was shot and look like he was hit with a slug. The shells never have been wet but I wonder if they still rusted together. I'm going to cut one open.
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:45 pm

Shot a pintail at 7 or 8 yards and the head not so much popped off as it blew off. But never heard of it happen at that kind of distance. Must of had a real tight pack of BBs that hit just the right spot.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting