Mallard x Gawall hybrid hen?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Mallard x Gawall hybrid hen?

Postby dysco » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:33 pm

She was shacked up with a big drake Mallard and I thought she was a gadwall in the air yesterday when I first saw them and today when I jumped them. Tiny by comparison, about 14" long compared to the Drake's 20". Black on top of this bill, no bright colors (or rust) anywhere. Shot a few miles from home in the mountains of Colorado. Mallards and gadwall are the primary puddle ducks with the occasional wigeon.
dysco
hunter

Re: Mallard x Gawall hybrid hen?

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:29 pm

Looks like a hen gadwall. I killed several of them this year.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:31 pm

It looks normal other than the wings. Possibly leucistic but it might just be a young hen gadwall
duckman27
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:34 pm

duckman27 wrote:It looks normal other than the wings. Possibly leucistic but it might just be a young hen gadwall

Some of my family wenting hunting on my land earlier today, my dad told me they had a lot of first year birds.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby dysco » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:18 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Looks like a hen gadwall. I killed several of them this year.

I killed two this morning. :thumbsup:

The bellies on those were both white, with a darker demarcation of sorts from neck to belly.
dysco
hunter

Postby dysco » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:30 pm

I'll add that I have no interest it it being one thing or another, just trying to figure out the oddball. The meat has been consumed and the good wing is in the freezer.

The only real mallard vibe I get off of it is seeing with with the drake twice and the brown belly. Otherwise it's just a funny looking gadwall.
dysco
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:14 pm

dysco wrote:I'll add that I have no interest it it being one thing or another, just trying to figure out the oddball. The meat has been consumed and the good wing is in the freezer.

The only real mallard vibe I get off of it is seeing with with the drake twice and the brown belly. Otherwise it's just a funny looking gadwall.

Either way u messed up a nice batch of Brewers for the up coming season. Way to go.... :no:
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:59 pm

Saltwater_Assassin wrote:
dysco wrote:I'll add that I have no interest it it being one thing or another, just trying to figure out the oddball. The meat has been consumed and the good wing is in the freezer.

Either way u messed up a nice batch of Brewers for the up coming season. Way to go.... :no:

another hen will cover her don't worry. There are more nesting hens that there is habitat for them to neat in.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:04 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
Saltwater_Assassin wrote:

another hen will cover her don't worry. There are more nesting hens that there is habitat for them to neat in.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app

Its called sarcasm. I was joking.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting