Ripple butts

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Ripple butts

Postby Goose Doctors » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:07 pm

I'm looking into what I'm going to buy for next year and one thing I might add to my list is those AA vibrating ducks/duck butts. They're at my local cabela's for $30. does anyone have any experience with these? I feel like they'd be easier than using a jerk cord but I just want to know how durable they are or if they actually will add much to my deke spread on a windless day. Thanks
Goose Doctors
hunter

Re: Ripple butts

Postby TX-DUX31 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:02 am

I have used these and the quiver magnet and they don't do much for motion. 3'-4' at most.

Check out this post. This is what I have found works best for motion. You can always use a good 'ole jerk string too.

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=219324
TX-DUX31
hunter

Postby BuckeyeZac » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:03 pm

I have one and I actually think it makes good ripples on the water when it is very calm. However, the darn thing never works. I had to change batteries after every use and it turns on only when it wants to. Didn't get much experience with how it works on ducks cuz the only times it worked correctly, there were no ducks around.
BuckeyeZac
hunter

Postby robert331 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:52 pm

I made a feeder. Here's what you need:

1 Small bilge pump
1 old weighted feeder decoy
1 water proof box
1 12v sealed battery (I used one out of an old emergency light)
1 heavy duty 12V turn signal flasher from the AUTO ZONE

I dug around and found an old cordless drill charger cut the end off of it and put on some aligator clips to charge it with.

The battery I have is a 10 amp/hour and I can run two of these rigs for about 3 hrs. on a full charge. They work great and I have yet to have it fail and I have been running one of them for 5 years
robert331
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:29 pm

I have used the Edge Expedite quiverin duck butts and they are junk. I couldn't get the batteries to last more than 45 minutes. Then they wouldn't turn on when I pressed the switch. I called the company and of course they never heard any problems. I just chalked it up to lesson learned and stay away from them from here on out. When they did work they didn't do much, it's probably more effective and cheaper to make a jerk rig.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby Goose Doctors » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:24 am

yea I'm not hearin very good things about them. I'm thinking I'll either make one or buy a ncie one like the higdon pulsator
Goose Doctors
hunter

Postby lou_01 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:54 pm

I have 2 of the quiver butts, they only put out ripples if your hunting water that has no movement and even at that its less than desired, both of them are junk. It takes an act of congress to turn them on and get them goin and one broke less than 2 hunts. The only thing worse than the quiver butts is the quiver duck, that thing didnt move any water and the decoy looked horrible paint wise, i wont buy another edge/expedite product ever and would highly discourage anyone from buying that brand. I would say just stick to your jerk rig and maybe make your own weazel ball motion decoy thats floating around on this forum i made one and works great and think i spent around 20 bucks to do it.
lou_01
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting