Identifying Ducks on the Wing

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Identifying Ducks on the Wing

Postby Keny656 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Hello, I have searched all over google and delta waterfowl along with youtube to find a guiude on how to identify ducks on the wing. I am fairly dcent at it but by no means an expert and I am just looking for more ways to be more sure at what I am shooting at. I have had to pass up on some shots due to not sure what they were. I have been waterfowl hunting for about 10 years but when I am out on my own not sure if i should shoot or not at certain birds flying. Too many hens look the same to me and I do not want to mistake one for another. I am fine with the drakes but the Hens are what gets me. If anyone has any info that they could pass on it would be greatly appreciated.
Rain Kead my Friends, Rain Kead.
Keny656
hunter

Re: Identifying Ducks on the Wing

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 pm

It can be challenging. My eyes do not focus as fast as they it used to so at times I find it very difficult to pick out specifics like beak color, feet color, and if they are comming straight in sometimes one may not even see the speculum on the wings. The best thing to do is get out in the off season and watch...............
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Dano135 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:21 pm

Check out the "ducks at a distance" guide. Also some standard bird guides will help. I recommend the Sibleys guides.
Keepin it real!
Dano135
hunter

Postby Keny656 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:20 pm

Thanks for the input i have an old Waterfowl Identification book but it doesnt really help with on ways to identify them flying in at top speeds through the decoys. I will check out what you have advised thanks alot.
Keny656
hunter

Thanks for the input i have an old Waterfowl Identification book but it doesnt really help with on ways to identify them flying in at top speeds through the decoys. I will check out what you have advised thanks alot.
Keny656
hunter

Keny656
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:01 pm

Being able to ID ducks comes over time. I hunt just about every day which has allowed me to ID birds extremely well. There's no way to learn how to do this other than spending time in the field
duckman27
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:08 pm

If I am ever in doubt I usually whip out the binoculars for a quick second. Assuming they are working the decoys and not screaming past, of course.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby dysco » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 pm

duckman27 wrote:Being able to ID ducks comes over time. I hunt just about every day which has allowed me to ID birds extremely well. There's no way to learn how to do this other than spending time in the field

Yep. Just like shooting, time seems to slow down when you're more used to the routine and less stressed. We have a warm pond here where half the birds in the valley winter. I go there after work all the time and watch them land in the half-light. Different birds have different flight patterns, noises, etc. Just takes time.
dysco
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting