First Timer - Please comment

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

First Timer - Please comment

Postby jiminy_fatal » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:41 pm

Went out today for the first time to try my hand at duck hunting. It took a long while but i managed to get all the required hunter safety and P.A.L. documents that a guy needs to hunt up here in northern saskatchewan. Duck and goose season opened up september 1st but I managed to get out today. Unfortunately I haven't found any veterans up here that were willing to go so early in the season. But my pregnant wife and my german shepherd puppy made the trip 100km north to Descharme lake.

I'm not a tech hungry guy at all so my first time out equipment consisted of a Red 17 1/2 foot canoe, a remington 870 with a 28 inch barrel and mod choke.

The tactics were simple, do some fishing on a river for walleye and if any birds presented themselves, take a few shots... Well the walleye fishing was hot and I caught my limit of 5 in about 15 minutes, so the wife and I set out to paddle around.

Ducks were everywhere but the majority of them knew we were coming before we even got close, but finally I was able to spot and stalk a duo of mallards and i got within 10 yards popped off one round, that missed, and a second that hit one of the mallards (the male) as it jumped off the water.

What i didn't expect to happen was my dog's reaction. he went a little beserk and jumped in the water after the flailing duck! Luckily i was able to get him to come back into the canoe before retrieving my first kill. A nice clean head shot. I was using 1550 fps BB steel shot.

Fired a few rounds at some passers a few minutes later, but i was shooting behind... (It seems the hours of skeet practice didn't pay off) I started shooting this spring with both eyes open but for some reason i swith to one open one shut when I am excited. not too good.

The next kill came again with a spot and stalk method and i whacked the duck cleanly on the first shot before it even knew I was coming. Course the damn thing had to fly towards some dense reeds and it took me 10 minutes to find it. After that my wife's ears were ringing (even tho she had the earplugs) so we took off back to the shore.

Had an awful and bloody time breasting the birds... 3 fingers down the neck and 3 up the bum and rip.... Pretty gross but i managed it ok.

Some notes: The two ducks I shot were on the smaller size. So the question is, was I able to sneak up on these smaller ducks because they were inexperienced with the concept of hunting????

Any suggestions on what gear I may need to buy in the future?

Thanks for reading a first timer's post.

Jordan
jiminy_fatal
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:25 am

Hey Jordon, sounds like you and the family had a great time. And congrads of the success of you first hunt.
You did not mention what kind of ducks "the small one were". maybe the were teal or woodies? You were on the right track. Did you guys have on camo, were you sitting up right in the boat. Was there lots of paddling after you saw the ducks? If you are camoed, keep a low profile and scull the boat, you will and should look like a big old log and the ducks should hold tight and then the flush ...should be in range. As far as the shooting& missing.... Join "de club" it may get a little better, but it will happen :cool:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:04 am

I agree sounds like you had a blast. :welcome: to the site. First of all I would paint that canoe or at least buy some camo burlap and cover it up. When attempting to stalk birds do just that nice and slow. The birds you killed were propably younger birds or teal as cut mentioned. Either way sounds like you had a good time and are on the right track. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby jiminy_fatal » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:31 am

To answer the questions:

No Camo at all
I was sitting down in the boat
and we did quite a bit of actual paddling (although my wife and I can be very quite paddling - the 'indian stroke' is awesome)

I am 100 percent sure the first duke was a mallard

I "think" the other duck was a gadwall...

Although to not know what the bird is probably a sign that i shouldn't have shot it...
jiminy_fatal
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:23 am

post pictures of the ducks and I'm sure someone can ID them if you have pics, Drake mallards are easy even in eclipse look for the curly cue
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:38 am

get your self a dozen decoys ($25) and some decoy line and anchors ($5), and a regular old whistle ($.99) Set your decoys about 10 yards from shore, paddle canoe up against shore, blow a few quick tweets on the whistle, and watch the birds come in. :welcome:
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby The Cat Island Drake » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:48 pm

:welcome: to DHC Jordan. Your going to need some decoy's, and camo your boat for starters.
There just ain't nothin' like a mornin' woody!
The Cat Island Drake
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting