Banded Pintail!

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Banded Pintail!

Postby Duckmaster1100 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:03 pm

So the other day i was out duck hunting with my grand father when we saw a group of pintails coming into the spread, We both pulled the trigger (There was 2 drakes in the group of 5) Myself being on the left i shot the drake on the left, and he shot the drake on the right, Upon retrieving the birds mine was banded.... We live in Idaho we hardly ever see many pintails, Does anyone know the chances of shooting a banded one is? This was also my very first pintail
Duckmaster1100
hunter

Re: Banded Pintail!

Postby Duck Collector » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:17 pm

Congrats on first band and first pin tail!! Theres a few that are banded but not like mallards...something like that happdned to me last year but not the good way...me and a buddy were hunting last year and a pair of pintail started to work in and he was going to shoot the right bird and i was going to shoot left bird and just before we stood up to shoot, the birds crossed eachother and the one i WAS going to shoot he shot and it was banded.... :fingerhead:
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Bob Caygeon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:37 am

Nice job Duckmaster! :thumbsup:
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:37 pm

:drool: Pintails are by far my favorite birds. A banded pintail like that is top five on my hit list.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:50 pm

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/homepage/start.cfm

This should give you an idea. Looks like about 150 recovered banded pintails in Idaho in the last 13 years. Congrats! :thumbsup:
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby juwehoyt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:56 pm

Congrats on the banded Pintail... I shot a banded pintail hen here in Eastern Oregon last year and it was banded up in Yukon Alaska. Be sure to let us know where it's from. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
There are 2 types of public land hunters...
1. Those who hear the shots and hunt there next time...
2. And those who are the shots...

NOW GET OUT AND DO YOUR OWN SCOUTING!!!
juwehoyt
hunter

Postby fowlplay56 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:16 pm

I shot one here in NM last Christmas that was also banded in AK but mine was from Fairbanks. I know of one other killed last year in NM that was banded at the same place at same time. They may have migrated all the way down together.
Congrats its definitely a trophy!
fowlplay56
hunter

Postby MNkid7 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:08 am

Congrats on the band. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt you post this on a different site saying you were pigeon hunting. And someone questioned you about using lead instead of steel. So the fact that you came on here to say you we're duck hunting kind of makes you look guilty and almost like your trying to cover it up. :no:
MNkid7
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:35 am

MNkid7 wrote:Congrats on the band. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt you post this on a different site saying you were pigeon hunting. And someone questioned you about using lead instead of steel. So the fact that you came on here to say you we're duck hunting kind of makes you look guilty and almost like your trying to cover it up. :no:

Pigeon hunting......Lead Shot......Banded Pintail.................Get a rope! :mad:
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:46 am

You can see other birds in the truck..
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:10 am

There is birds in the back but if you look close I think I see a pigeons foot in the back, also that looks like a dairy/cattle farm in the back ground pretty good for pigeons. His hat also has a pigeon on it, still good job on the bird just hope you did it the right way.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby MNkid7 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:42 am

Saltwater_Assassin wrote:
MNkid7 wrote:Congrats on the band. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt you post this on a different site saying you were pigeon hunting. And someone questioned you about using lead instead of steel. So the fact that you came on here to say you we're duck hunting kind of makes you look guilty and almost like your trying to cover it up. :no:

Pigeon hunting......Lead Shot......Banded Pintail.................Get a rope! :mad:

Pretty big rope If you ask me
Attachments
image.jpg
Hows that for a rope?
MNkid7
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:01 pm

On the facebook page they have pics of pintails, mallards, and pigeons all shot together. Hope they had steel... :no:
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Duckmaster1100 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:39 pm

Calm down everyone, You can't be duckhunting a feedlot and shoot pigeons over pigeon decoys? Yeah i see how it looks bad but it would take an idiot to go public with a nice poached bird picture.... it was banded in Shamrock Saskatchewan
Duckmaster1100
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:55 pm

Duckmaster1100 wrote:Calm down everyone, You can't be duckhunting a feedlot and shoot pigeons over pigeon decoys? Yeah i see how it looks bad but it would take an idiot to go public with a nice poached bird picture.... it was banded in Shamrock Saskatchewan

ummmm no.. you really cant (leagally) hunt ducks in a feed lot.. :lol3:
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby 707tothe907 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:40 pm

That's one young 'prostaffer'.
707tothe907
hunter

Postby fowlplay56 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:13 pm

Forget lead, bait is the real problem. The evidence is in cyber space now bud might just make the call yourself and maybe it wont cost you as much. Sorry, heck of a trophy though
fowlplay56
hunter

Postby Duckmaster1100 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:43 pm

I don't know what state you guys are in but i have personally hunted this feedlot with members of the F&G, And after looking through all of the regulations there are no laws stating that i can't hunt waterfowl feeding out of food that was fed to cows, If it was intentionally spilled out for the watefowl then yes it would be illegal but this is 100% legal
Duckmaster1100
hunter

Postby Pintail65 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:35 pm

Pintails are my favorite for sure. My cousin shot a drake pintail in utah that was banded in Saskatchewan five years ago it was pretty cool i was jealous.
Pintail65
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:16 am

Duckmaster1100 wrote:I don't know what state you guys are in but i have personally hunted this feedlot with members of the F&G, And after looking through all of the regulations there are no laws stating that i can't hunt waterfowl feeding out of food that was fed to cows, If it was intentionally spilled out for the watefowl then yes it would be illegal but this is 100% legal

I find that hard to believe. Most baiting laws are worded like this "any feed that was not harvested in a normal agricultural manner".

Meaning if you brush hog a corn field and leave it. That's baiting. If a chute opens on the back of a combine and spills a pile. That's baiting. If you have sweet corn and only pick a few rows at a time to sell, and corn falls on the ground and you hunt it. It's baiting. If you leave a pile out in a field "for deer" and you shoot ducks off of it. That's baiting.

How would my last example differ from food that was fed for cows?
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Ohio- what would it run me to have you drop by to rape my dog and set this boat on fire?
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Duckmaster1100 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:47 am

So your saying the cows are baiting since its them that the corn is passing through once?
Duckmaster1100
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:26 am

Duckmaster1100 wrote:So your saying the cows are baiting since its them that the corn is passing through once?

If there is ANYTHING that attracts waterfowl in regards to feed ANYWHERE then it is illegal. It doesn't matter if it's been excremented or not. I didn't write the rules...I am just literate.

http://www.fws.gov/le/waterfowl-hunting ... iting.html

"What Is Baiting?

You cannot hunt waterfowl by the aid of baiting or on or over any baited area where you know or reasonably should know that the area is or has been baited.

Baiting is the direct or indirect placing, exposing, depositing, distributing, or scattering of salt, grain, or other feed that could lure or attract waterfowl to, on, or over any areas where hunters are attempting to take them.

A baited area is any area on which salt, grain, or other feed has been placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, if that salt, grain, or feed could serve as a lure or attraction for waterfowl. "
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Ohio- what would it run me to have you drop by to rape my dog and set this boat on fire?
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Duckbling12 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:54 am

OmegaRed wrote:
Duckmaster1100 wrote:So your saying the cows are baiting since its them that the corn is passing through once?

If there is ANYTHING that attracts waterfowl in regards to feed ANYWHERE then it is illegal. It doesn't matter if it's been excremented or not. I didn't write the rules...I am just literate.

"What Is Baiting?

You cannot hunt waterfowl by the aid of baiting or on or over any baited area where you know or reasonably should know that the area is or has been baited.

Baiting is the direct or indirect placing, exposing, depositing, distributing, or scattering of salt, grain, or other feed that could lure or attract waterfowl to, on, or over any areas where hunters are attempting to take them.

A baited area is any area on which salt, grain, or other feed has been placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, if that salt, grain, or feed could serve as a lure or attraction for waterfowl. "

I understand where you are coming from, but it doesn't state feed from fecal matter is baiting... he didn't place it there, the farmer didn't place it there... the cows did after they had already ate it and it didn't come out of there mouths.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I seen a hunt with the Primos guys one time doing the exact same deal.... they were hunting a feed lot that the cows were using that sounds about the exact same kinda deal and they put that footage on a dvd.
Just my two cents
Duckbling12
hunter

Postby Duckbling12 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:59 am

However;
It does state this in the rules: Directly pasted from the link

Other Agricultural Concerns
You cannot hunt waterfowl on or over areas where farmers feed grain to livestock, store grain, or engage in other normal agricultural practices that do not meet the definition of a normal agricultural planting, harvest, or post-harvest manipulation.

But still doesn't say after the livestock get rid of it by natural bodily functions.......
Duckbling12
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:04 am

Duckbling12 wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:

"What Is Baiting?

I understand where you are coming from, but it doesn't state feed from fecal matter is baiting... he didn't place it there, the farmer didn't place it there... the cows did after they had already ate it and it didn't come out of there mouths.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I seen a hunt with the Primos guys one time doing the exact same deal.... they were hunting a feed lot that the cows were using that sounds about the exact same kinda deal and they put that footage on a dvd.
Just my two cents

And this is how I have had my questions answered by GW's regarding this matter: Do you get a speeding ticket every time you speed? Just because you didn't get ticketed doesn't mean you won't. And there is a difference in interpretation between GW's. Some might not ticket you, but others will.

If I were enforcing this law, I would argue that feed from excrement would fall under all three of the "exposed, deposited and distributed" categories as well as "indirect placing". These laws are written to be blanket statements - all encompassing and left to be determined by GW's. Reread it for what it is and you should be able see where this fits in. Once again, not saying that I necessarily agree with it, but that's how it is written.
Locked&Loaded wrote:
OmegaRed
Fabio

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting