Need a few ideas

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Need a few ideas

Postby bubbasblazer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Looking back over laste season i could use a few ideas. I hunt alot of state land impounds. Basicly a man made marsh area with blinds around the perimeter and deeper water 4-5ft in depth and shallower on the inside where no blinds are. In the mornig the birds are there (in the middle) and go wherever it is ducks go. Usually you can get a few to drop in and a few pass shots. These areas see alot of pressure and the birds usually zig zag their way outta the impound or fly by just outta range trading back and forth. From what I seen others do and I do they usually run between 3-4 doz. decoys. Anybody have any ideas to improve the success rate in high pressure areas?
bubbasblazer
hunter

Re: Need a few ideas

Postby ohioboy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Full choke? :hammer:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Nope, don't work either I even bought the 120 dollar XXXtra Full Choke from some magazine I had laying around. With a 10ga. They still don't come close enough for that. :yes:
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 pm

Either way more decoys or way less decoys.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Biggest thing is to A. Be different then those surrounding you. By using fewer or more decoys, less calling, etc. or B. Scout out new areas and ask permission on some private land! :thumbsup:
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby juwehoyt » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:21 pm

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling wrote:Biggest thing is to A. Be different then those surrounding you.

What WWW said... Do what everyone isn't...What I would do is maybe look into getting a layout boat of some sort maybe like a final attack or similar. Hunt the middle of the pond (as long as it dosen't mess others hunts up) The only thing that you would have to watch out for is someone setting up on the down wind side and shooting your birds as they swing on you :mad: :mad:

ohioboy wrote:Full choke? :hammer:

Don't be the guy that everyone wants to kill!!! :fingerpt: :fingerpt: SKYBUSTER!!!
There are 2 types of public land hunters...
1. Those who hear the shots and hunt there next time...
2. And those who are the shots...

NOW GET OUT AND DO YOUR OWN SCOUTING!!!
juwehoyt
hunter

Postby Goose Doctors » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:11 pm

I typically like smaller spreads on public lands. everyone seems to overkill on calling and sometimes decoys so a few quacks here and there and a nice small spread of your choice decoys may work
Goose Doctors
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:45 am

Don't use a full choke, I would like to set up other than the blind but you gotta be in the blind as per the regs. on the state impounds. Less calling has deffinately helped, I always say i'm gonna toss 2 decoys and rig them to a jerk cord or something but just can't bring myself to do it when the time comes, deff. gonna try it next season though.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Any goose decoys in your spread or is anyone else using them?
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:21 pm

Are you able to do a layout style hunt or solely from the blinds? If you are able to layout, get a canoe or some form of small shallow drafting boat and cover yourself in grass mats. Layout more in the center and don't hunt from the blinds. I used to hunt an area in MD and would do that. Instead of hunting from the shores in the marsh, I would get into the flats, layout, and have a decent hunt. You will need to anchor yourself so you don't move with the wind. If you cover yourself well enough, you will look like a small clump of grass. Good luck.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby flight control » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:32 pm

I have noticed that pressured ducks had a comfort zone and would not come any closer than that set dstance. The black ducks one year wouldnt come any closer than 100 yards from our spread. We even tried seting up where they were landing the day before and they would still land 100 yards away. So one day, I put every decoy I had available in one big spread, waited for the first bird to decide where the X was, and lay there with nothing more than a grass mat to cover myself with. I had them cupped and trying to land 20 feet away from me, just because I was that magic distance away from the decoys.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:21 pm

Yea I wish I could be mobile but the state has us nailed down. Usually some guys will have a few tossed out and other i have went by had nothing but geese out. Either way it seems to be the same story with every hunter out there. Get 1 or two and the rest just zig and zag their way through the blinds. I'm gonna try a few dekes next year and see what happens. I did learn a few years back listening to other huinters scream at every duck they saw within 700yds, They actually fly faster and get outta town. So I toned it down with simple quacks and chuckles deffinately gets them closer.I also try to call with the end of my call facing slightly upward so the sound is less likely to bounce of the front wall of the blind. There was a group down from me one day sounded like they were calling into an empty soup can with the echo coming from their blind/ sounded HORRIBLE!!
bubbasblazer
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting