mix ducks and geese

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

mix ducks and geese

Postby cazzierock » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:20 am

do you guys mix the geese right with the ducks? i always wanted to try it. but always put geese on a side or something. just wondering
cazzierock
hunter

Re: mix ducks and geese

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:19 am

Yes it adds confidence for ducks but It doesn't work for geese ie: ducks will land over goose decoys but geese will not land with duck decoys. So if your spread is big throw a smaller family of geese in with your ducks and then throw the larger group of geese off to the side. This way it will look more natural hope it works!
Jack it up, fat chicks can't jump!
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby cazzierock » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:41 pm

sounds good.
cazzierock
hunter

Postby swamplife90 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:00 pm

My hunting partner and I had geese drop into our duck spread on our last hunt of this season.they never hesitated.
swamplife90
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:25 pm

swamplife90 wrote:My hunting partner and I had geese drop into our duck spread on our last hunt of this season.they never hesitated.

there's a good chance they wanted to be there in the first place then.
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:31 pm

cwsmith wrote:
swamplife90 wrote:My hunting partner and I had geese drop into our duck spread on our last hunt of this season.they never hesitated.

What he said^^^musta been on a roost!
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby FowlOffspring » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:24 pm

LETEMWORK21 wrote:
cwsmith wrote:

What he said^^^musta been on a roost!

Not necessarily. We used to hunt a marsh a lot that was just solely for loafing because most of it was either mud flats or 2 1/2 to 3 foot deep water and mixed our duck decoys with our goose decoys and killed a ton of geese and ducks over the same setup.
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby swamplife90 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:01 pm

Not even close with that spot geese tend to fly high and never look down I decided to take the call one morning just to see if they would get low enough to get a shot and had the whole flock of 10 turn on a dime lock up and drop in we let half land, they all landed in the duck decoys, we shot 3 that were still on the wing and 2 that had flushed off the water. I haven't used single goose decoy in there and it usually only takes a honk or 2 and some clucks and they lock right up.
swamplife90
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:53 am

swamplife90 wrote:Not even close with that spot geese tend to fly high and never look down I decided to take the call one morning just to see if they would get low enough to get a shot and had the whole flock of 10 turn on a dime lock up and drop in we let half land, they all landed in the duck decoys, we shot 3 that were still on the wing and 2 that had flushed off the water. I haven't used single goose decoy in there and it usually only takes a honk or 2 and some clucks and they lock right up.

Ya I had that happen to me this year too in early teal and goose had a whole flock of 20 drop in like they were camacazis when I started callin just to see how'd they react dropped in a landed all in real decoys...too bad goose ended the day before and teal was only open :mad: it all just depends on how pressured and educated the birds are truly what it boils down too.
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting