Does wind really affect duck hunting?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Does wind really affect duck hunting?

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:36 pm

In your guy's opinions, how do you think the wind affects duck hunting. Does it move birds off larger bodies of water, or is it easy for them to cover land with the wind? This is my second season so I'm not too sure how it all works and was curious. Somedays where I hunted, I'd see alot of ducks work with no wind and vice versa, so whats the big idea behind it?
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Re: Does wind really affect duck hunting?

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:19 pm

Wind makes the birds move around more often i think. The ducks want wind in their face when they try to land so that their not goin to fast and so they can land easier.

I really dont think it matters a whole lot though. If a duck wants to be on a certain spot, it will get there one way or another...
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:02 pm

Where I hunt it is a pretty big factor. Wind gets the birds moving and on still days they just sit and loaf. The biggest factor is overcast/sun/rain/ect. The worse the weather the more the ducks move and the easier they work.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:04 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Where I hunt it is a pretty big factor. Wind gets the birds moving and on still days they just sit and loaf. The biggest factor is overcast/sun/rain/ect. The worse the weather the more the ducks move and the easier they work.

Interesting... Thats what i was kinda thinking
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:08 pm

And if it is calm make sure you have motion In your spread or you might as well leave your gun home. My best hunt ever was in 40mph N winds, 35*, sleet/rain/snow/hail, with 3 foot waves rolling in.

NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:22 pm

2 things I've noticed as far as hunting in the wind goes:
-If the wind is blowing 20+mph, you can consistantly kill birds if you find a cove or something out of the wind
-The birds always want to land into the wind
duckman27
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:35 am

NuffDaddy wrote:And if it is calm make sure you have motion In your spread or you might as well leave your gun home. My best hunt ever was in 40mph N winds, 35*, sleet/rain/snow/hail, with 3 foot waves rolling in.

Geesus! Were you in a boat? Sounds deadly
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:46 pm

I literally drool when i see big north winds in my area. All my ponds are dammed up on the north creating a nice protection from the wind. Line that bank up with dekes, create a landing zone and its over. They lock up in your face wanting to escape the high winds. Diff people look at it diff....i personally have the best luck on windy rainy days but some people will say ducks will just hang out in one spot.
sooner737
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:08 pm

wanapasaki wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:And if it is calm make sure you have motion In your spread or you might as well leave your gun home. My best hunt ever was in 40mph N winds, 35*, sleet/rain/snow/hail, with 3 foot waves rolling in.

Geesus! Were you in a boat? Sounds deadly

nope, walked out. It was usually dry land where we were at but the high winds brought about 3 foot of water into a back cove that was a little calmer than the bay and the ducks were pouring in. Even got a bonus goose too.

NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:30 pm

duckman27 wrote:2 things I've noticed as far as hunting in the wind goes:
-If the wind is blowing 20+mph, you can consistantly kill birds if you find a cove or something out of the wind

This, if the wind is really getting it, I find water with cover and we will kill more birds.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:39 pm

I absolutly hate wind... All i hunt is the bay systems and any wind other than a south wind (which hardly ever happens in hunting season) will drain all the water from the bay. Like 2ft of water turns into endless mud bars over night. No water = miserable hunt finding water, which usually = no ducks.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:24 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
duckman27 wrote:2 things I've noticed as far as hunting in the wind goes:

This, if the wind is really getting it, I find water with cover and we will kill more birds.

In colorado there is no cover. That worked for me in Mississippi but out here everything is wide open
duckman27
hunter

Postby t_baker » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:50 am

We had a similar hunt last season. Only area of calm water was in front of our blind. We took 4 youngsters myself, grandpa, and 2 uncles. Weather didnt start getting nasty till about 11am, morning had been pretty slow. Wind picked up, sleet/rain rolled in, cold front snapped through, within 2 hours we left with a 8 man limit, and ten canadas. Pretty good day in Ohio.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm

I have had some of the best days EVER in no wind and I find wind nothing but agonizing frustration. As long as it's not BLAZING sun....still is fine..
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby noweil » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:10 pm

Wind makes it easier to kill birds. Puts movement in the decoys. Often the birds will fly lower. They seem to be happy to get down out of the wind and find some friends. On the water even sunny days with the right wind are killer.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:51 am

No wind around here makes for a skunk or one bird day. Blowing 15-25 makes for good hunting if the birds have shown up. Anymore than that they move at first light and take cover. You can have a good quick hunt but once its over its over.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting