Mandarin Duck

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Mandarin Duck

Postby Pintail65 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:08 am

Hey everyone thought this was very interesting so i thought i would share it. Me and my girlfriend spotted a large flock of wild wood ducks and mallards that have migrated into this small river here in utah, and me being who i am, i wanted to get some pictures. I love ducks, duck hunting is my absolute favorite and i also like to do a little photography for fun. Anyway we were walking around looking at all the ducks which are 100% wild birds which i want to emphasize. These arent birds from a zoo or park these are real wild ducks. We go to this location all year round so i can take pictures of birds and the wood ducks only migrate into this spot during the winter due to it having open water. With that being said here is this wild flock of 50+ wood ducks and i notice a hen that looks odd, so i zoomed in my camera on her and to my surprise she is a mandarin hen... i have an aviary and i do raise ducks. I have never raised mandarin ducks because i love american waterfowl, but i am very positive that this is a mandarin hen. If anyone else wants to challenge this i would love to talk about it more and get others input but im 100% positive its a mandarin. I have heard of mandarin ducks being shot in america before so i can believe this is a mandarin. For as where it came from i dont know. My best quess would be it got loose from someones aviary. She is completely capable of flight, i scared the whole flock once as they all flew up and landed a hundred yards up stream. I would love to know the history on this duck. She has no identible markings as to her being a pen raised duck, she didnt have her wings pinioned, she didnt have a band, and she had all her toenails. If she was a legally pen raised bird she would have had been marked by one of the previous methods. So maybe there is a chance she is a real wild bird. I looked and could not find another one, i was hoping i would find a drake with her but there wasnt one in sight. What are all of your thoughts on this?

Heres a photo of her. Notice around the eye how she does not have a yellow eye lid like a hen wood duck has.

Just for reference i attached a photo of a hen wood duck also, compare the white around the eye and also look at the shape and white around the bill. And notice how she has the yellow eye lid.

Pintail65
hunter

Re: Mandarin Duck

Postby cwsmith » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:55 am

I have to agree with your reasoning and say yes, this is a mandarin duck hen! The dead giveaway is her eye channel bristles extending so far back. Excellent find. As for not being marked as a captive bird my guess is this is a 2nd generation bird hatched from an escaped wild pair - not a migrant from east asia.

I have a funny story about Mandarins. A friend of mine was hunting years ago near Salem, OR, and in the conversation in the blind, his buddy asks if he had ever seen a Mandarin Duck. My friend responded by saying that he had not, and asked what one looked like. His friend described the vivid orange and eccentric sails of the bird in detail. At the end of his account, my friend looked out over the water and said "like that one out there?" Sure thing, a drake mandarin had just landed into their decoys, and they both popped up to shoot it. What gorgeous birds they are.. I'd love to see one in the wild.
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:09 am

Here in Utah, there are a couple flocks of them along the Wasatch Front. I'd say we got around a hundred or so that are indeed wild. I've seen a few fully plumed drakes near Salt Lake and a few in Ogden and Layton. I'm no photographer so my pics never turn out. They spook real easily. I posted a pic of a real young drake. I have a pic of a full plumed drake but you can't see it real well. If you are a photographer, I know a place where these things nest with a bunch of wood ducks. We usually get 2 pair to come in. I could let you know where to get some neat pics around May or June. Thanks for posting. Oh, I'd ask for you to not reveal the location of the wood ducks you are seeing. This turned out to be a problem where I hunt. Some kids went in and killed all 25 the pond had. And let me know if it would be possible to set up some nesting boxes for them. I'd like to get some more installed soon.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Pintail65 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:57 pm

I agree i dont think these are migrants from asia but i do believe they are wild so hopefully someday i can shoot one! I am not a professinal photographer but i love doing it as a hobby id love to get some pictures of mandarin ducks. My relatives own some land near this locations with another small river running through it and they have put up a few nesting boxs. We see wood ducks on there property and im positive some of them are the same ones. I love jump shooting that little river we have got wood ducks, ruddys and even a canvasback. A few years a go i shot my first drake hooded merganser here too.

Pintail65
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:04 pm

This year was a weird year for hoodies. They seemed to be more abundant in Northern Utah. We shot a few off a small stream up north that we own. I've yet to see any wood ducks there though. I appreciate the placement of the boxes. It's great because they need all the help they can get right now. Keep in touch and I'll let you know when the mandarins fly in to nest. They are neat little birds and fun to watch. I tried to get a picture of 3 drakes coming in to land. It really is an amazing sight.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:19 pm

You can shoot mandarin ducks year round because they are exotic and not on the federal migratory bird list! Soo blast away! :sniper:
Jack it up, fat chicks can't jump!
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:50 pm

LETEMWORK21 wrote:You can shoot mandarin ducks year round because they are exotic and not on the federal migratory bird list! Soo blast away! :sniper:

I would not think so. It's still a waterfowl.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Pintail65 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:24 am

Alright sounds good!

Well im not sure about that either haha i dont wanna get busted for messing around with federal birds either way i want them to populate more and its just a hen anyway so shes safe from me at least till next season.
Pintail65
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:12 am

LETEMWORK21 wrote:You can shoot mandarin ducks year round because they are exotic and not on the federal migratory bird list! Soo blast away! :sniper:

All wild birds are protected by law unless a legal season is established for them (Waterfowl, upland, turkey) or they are specifically classified as an unprotected species (starling, house sparrow, rock dove, eurasian collared dove).
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:41 am

This is just what I've read/heard it'd be a question for the dnr to properly answer.
Jack it up, fat chicks can't jump!
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:45 am

I've heard this about NC. They are an evasive species like a feral hog. Might just be hear say though.
m.teeter
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting