Question About 1st Canada Duck Hunt

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Question About 1st Canada Duck Hunt

Postby bloodnguts » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:44 pm

I'm trying to decide between Manitoba and Saskatchewan for my first ever Canada duck hunt. It will be just me and my 16 year old son. To be honest, I probably wouldn't make the trip if it was just for me, as I have shot my share of ducks and have gotten much more into bowhunting. I just want to take him to a place where he can experience tons of ducks flying around where he will have ample shooting opportunities without the rat race of competition for hunting spots, and maybe get hooked on the outdoors instead of video gaming. I don't have a single field decoy as I just like to hunt ducks over water, so we will have a canoe and two or three dozen floating mallard decoys. My main question is if it is worth it, coming from Wisconsin, to drive completely across the southern half of Manitoba to reach east central Saskatchewan just to hunt ducks in a vast land where hunters are stretched very thin, or is there ample opportunity all across southern Manitoba where hunters are few and far between and permission is easily granted? I guess my reason for thinking about Saskatchewan is little tidbits I've picked up about Manitoba being more and more locked up to outfitters and/or paying hunters, as well as far more hunting pressure, in general, than Saskatchewan. I realize, of course, these could be false perceptions I have, as I have never personally been there.
bloodnguts
hunter

Re: Question About 1st Canada Duck Hunt

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:42 pm

Post this in the canada forum :thumbsup:
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby bloodnguts » Thu May 02, 2013 6:21 am

Duck Collector wrote:Post this in the canada forum :thumbsup:

I considered that, but judging by the little amount of traffic in the Canada forum, I thought I might get a few more looks and a few more responses in this forum. Guess I was wrong.
bloodnguts
hunter

Postby loon » Thu May 09, 2013 4:20 pm

We went to Saskatchewan a few years ago a little town called Govan nokomis is nearby we had no problem getting permission the hard part was Finding out who owned the land. We also hunted small potholes and sloughs We shot our limit of ducks every day it was a bad year for snow geese but we still managed to get some as well as some sandhill cranes which was really a great experience. You can do very well in Saskatchewan just with a couple dozen mallard decoy's in the sloughs and ponds . The upland hunting for Hungarian partridge and prairie chickens is pretty good as well
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby bloodnguts » Thu May 09, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond with your experience. I appreciate it!
bloodnguts
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting