Flooded timber advice

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Flooded timber advice

Postby cfaulk33 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:16 pm

Hey guys I have a hole in our timber that holds water year around and I hunt it early season before the river gets out of the banks. There are a few dead trees and stumps in the middle that I was thinking of clearing out this year to open the hole up. I've been told not to mess with it from a couple other guys around here bc it won't look as natural and then some say to do it bc it's only a few dead logs and stumps. Looking for some advice on what to do from some of u veteran timber hunters. Oh and I am also planting corn in and around this hole for the ducks and deer as well.
cfaulk33
hunter

Re: Flooded timber advice

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:41 am

Check local baiting laws to see if you can plant for the purpose of killing animals.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby cfaulk33 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:21 am

We can as long as its standing plants. We can't bait them by putting out corn or anything to hunt over but as long as they are standing crops we are good. Also forgot to mention that we are mainly hunting mallards and woodies. That's what we see mostly around here that and a few geese
cfaulk33
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:59 am

I'd say open it up a little. Give em a runway, they'll dump right in. And, DONT TELL ANYBODY WHERE IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby cfaulk33 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:37 pm

thats what i was thinking.. opening up some and also thought about buliding a "beaver lodge" Blind in it. they look Sweet! oh and the good thing is our land has a gate to it so no one can get to the duck hole without walking about 3 miles from the main road with all there gear lol :thumbsup:
cfaulk33
hunter

Postby SEGunner » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:03 pm

Sorry, a little late to forum. I always leave the pond the way I found it. I hunt a beaver pond as well for Woodies. My pond changes every year from the beaver anyway. It would be a real job trying to keep it open the way I want. The best way I've found to keep the Woodies around is to build some nesting boxes. The Beaver usually do a good job themselves of keeping some shooting lanes open through the trees.
SEGunner
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting