Large pond questions

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Large pond questions

Postby Lacoonass » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:44 am

Whats up fellas i have a rather large salt pond i hunt in southwest louisiana.. My current platform blind is setup on a point that juts out a little into the pond. Im having problems with ducks passing or flaring from my blind up and landing in the middle of the pond... My blind is very well hidden i basicly have to shoot my way out when ducks do come in so i know they arent seeing me or shadows. I was told maybe i should put the blind in the middle of the pond and build an island out of it... Lemme know what yall think and if so how can i get plant life to take off around the blind... I was told hay bails
Lacoonass
hunter

Re: Large pond questions

Postby Omaha Clucker » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:11 pm

how deep is your water around the blind vs where your ducks are hitting? and what ducks are hitting out there? I've read here and elsewhere that divers don't like to land where they can see the bottom. At the start of our season last year our water level was way way down and we had heck of a time getting divers in close. They'd hit the water in the middle of our lake and maybe swim in maybe not. It was near the end of the season before the water had come back up enough for them to decoy the way we wanted
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby Lacoonass » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Current blind is on land but the entire pond is pretty level and about 2ft deep on avg depending on tide and wind.
Lacoonass
hunter

Postby Lacoonass » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:14 pm

Oh and we get mostly gadwall mottled ducks and teal somtime the occasional pintail and mallard.. Other than that ring neck ducks and hooded merganzers and common merganzers thr onlt ones that decoy are teal ring neck ducks and usually young gadwall
Lacoonass
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:19 pm

We had the same problem this year. Try a layout somewhere else on the pond to put the pressure coming from somewhere else other than where your blind is. Also try to minimize how much you hunt there. Someone was sneaking into the property and hunting the pond and the ducks got over hunted
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:31 am

If your pond is surrounded by a wall of canes or other high cover, the birds may not be comfortable landing near them because they can't see trouble coming. But in any event, many a low profile South Louisiana "island" blind has been made by anchoring a fiberglass pit (or plastic barrels) in mid pond and surrounding it with dug out salt grass clumps atop hay bales.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting