Decoys in Timber

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Decoys in Timber

Postby SemoDuck12 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Okay guys, so I can hunt some flooded timber. Some spots have holes in the woods and some don't. How would you set the spread up in probably a 35yr by 35yrd hole? And how would you set them up if you were just hunting timber without a hole?
SemoDuck12
hunter

Re: Decoys in Timber

Postby apexhunter » Mon May 06, 2013 1:30 pm

If it is a large hole I pack decoys into a decent spread, leaving holes for them to land into. For smaller holes you can loosely scatter decoys to make the spread look bigger. Even though holes in the spread do work it is not 100% necessary- just watch videos or live birds landing in crowds and you'll see they don't need much space. I nornally try to match the spread to the number of birds that are found loafing in holes around the area.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby SemoDuck12 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:06 pm

Any suggestions on flooded timber without holes, like for later in the year when they get hole shy and start to land in the actual woods and not the holes?
SemoDuck12
hunter

Postby noweil » Sun May 19, 2013 11:18 am

Just stand next to a tree kick water and call.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting