Best place for wood ducks

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Best place for wood ducks

Postby mikesbales » Tue May 28, 2013 6:14 pm

I'm in the St. Louis, Missouri area and have been hunting around here for the past four seasons and haven't had any luck getting a woody. I'm looking into a hunting trip this upcoming season and was hoping someone here could suggest a location (or better yet an outfitter) which would give me the best chance of getting a few woodys. Any help would be appreciated.
mikesbales
hunter

Re: Best place for wood ducks

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:21 pm

My dad shot a lot on the Sacramento river in northern California, you need a boat though...
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Tue May 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Plenty here in SC but probably not your best bet... hard to believe you're having such a hard time killin a wood duck in Missouri. Never been there but seems there should be plenty in the neighborhood.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby mikesbales » Tue May 28, 2013 8:02 pm

BurninPowder wrote:Plenty here in SC but probably not your best bet... hard to believe you're having such a hard time killin a wood duck in Missouri. Never been there but seems there should be plenty in the neighborhood.

You're not the first person to tell me that lol. I'm hunting public ground, mostly flooded cornfields away from the timber. I haven't found any good conservation areas around me that would offer their prime habitat and after reading the uh... "constructive" criticism that others have received for asking advice on public ground I'm not about to follow in their footsteps. :lol3:
mikesbales
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue May 28, 2013 11:04 pm

You're not going to kill many of them in the corn fields. Once you venture into the swampy, timber areas you will find the elusive Woodrow :lol3:
duckman27
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Wed May 29, 2013 10:37 am

Dump corn in a swampy area until 2 weeks before the season if your state allows that. They are good at finding corn. May be a little too laye now but make some wood duck boxes. If you can get them to nest in an area theres more chance of them coming back
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby mikesbales » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:29 am

stealfeathers wrote:Dump corn in a swampy area until 2 weeks before the season if your state allows that. They are good at finding corn. May be a little too laye now but make some wood duck boxes. If you can get them to nest in an area theres more chance of them coming back

I'll have to give that a try, Thanks for the tip.
mikesbales
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:40 am

We have poop loads in MN...

Finding a place to hunt them on the other hand... :fingerhead:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Gunnysway wrote:We have poop loads in MN...

Finding a place to hunt them on the other hand... :fingerhead:

If you want one for the wall it can be a little tricky in mn too. They are thick here save for some of the SW part of the state.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:58 pm

FL, GA, SC, or NC swamps loaded with corn :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:16 am

I don't know bout that corn deal, I stray away from anything close to baiting. Flooded corn isn't gonna get you woodie swats in our area. The miss is not a bad place to try, shot a few out there this year. Farm ponds or tucked away ponds in the timber really produce well usually but you need to scout them. There are some nice public spots around for woodies, just gotta go scout honestly. Also don't bother calling them, put out some decoys and a mojo, if they want to be there try will come.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby noweil » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:20 pm

You could try floating streams or small rivers and jump shooting woodies. In the middle of the day they will often sit in the down trees in the river. You can even sit on the bank in the morning or evening and pass shoot them. When I was young I used to walk the bank of a river and I knew where all the log jams were located. I would go out in the middle of the day and pop over the levee where the log jams were at. It was a quick way to get my 2 wood ducks. Just take a good dog if it is too deep to wade. I think crippled woodies can be some of the toughest cripples to chase down.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Everyone is pretty much hitting the nail on the head - if you're targeting woodies get to the woods. I almost exclusively find them along the rivers and sloughs here in Western Oregon where there is alot of timber - especially oak trees. I once shot a woodie that was FULL of acorns! They tend to be very noisy here right before and after first shooting light then disappear for the rest of the day. Scouting will go a long ways for woodies.
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby mikesbales » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks for all the help, I'll have to look into a few of those options when season gets a bit closer.
mikesbales
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:24 am

mikesbales wrote:Thanks for all the help, I'll have to look into a few of those options when season gets a bit closer.

Man if you were to find your way to ga we could kill a limit every day by about 10 minutes after legal shooting light. There are so many here we go out of our way not to hunt them. As long as we stay off the creeks/rivers we do pretty well avoiding them whistling rockets.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:47 am

I agree with jstewart. It's rediculous how many we have. We've shot something like 300the past 2 seasons. The ole drake wood chicken is pretty though! Hens... Well they taste good with BBQ sauce
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:21 pm

Come to NC that's about all we have here in the middle part of the state. But be ready to deal with way more hunters than ducks.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:09 pm

m.teeter wrote:Come to NC that's about all we have here in the middle part of the state. But be ready to deal with way more hunters than ducks.

the same in GA more hunters than ducks. small pockets of slow moving water and if you think you found a spot on a river or big creek find the longest straightest part because from what i have seen woodies dont exactly follow the channel. they will follow the straight areas and cut the corners. also if you get them to commit to the decoys you better be quick because they drop in with no warning. mallards come cupped up all nice and slow woodies cup up 2 ft from the water and hit it hard and are gone just as fast.

and also found a few decoys on a jerk string work better than a mojo in my area and everyonce and a while they will respond to a call if you have motion on the water and can get their attention before they have passed you.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:27 pm

I will tell you what. you come here for a couple days the first week of the season and i can almost guarantee your limit of woodies if you can hit them
Pigeons-201
woodchucks-33
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby winginit0821 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:52 am

If you want to make a trip to GA i can put you on as many wood ducks as you want
winginit0821
Newb

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting