Scouting

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Scouting

Postby bjw1285 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:18 pm

What are yalls techniques when scouting? Mainly river, What time do you go and what exactly do you look for?
bjw1285
hunter

Re: Scouting

Postby txhunter90 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:20 pm

When I go I go in the morning to usually a newer spot to see when they are coming in. Other spots im not sure of I go later just to see if there are ducks. Usually do kore scouting than hunting it seems like.

TX
txhunter90
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:10 pm

While this may be a fine time to learn the lay of the land, the best time to scout is after the birds are down and the shooting has started. Which is, of course, when the overwhelming majority of guys are twiddling their thumbs over spreads in places that looked good to them, rather than investing some time in finding out where they could be shooting ducks.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:31 pm

For me, hunting season never ends. I am constantly out looking at places on maps and in person and picturing if they are going to hold ducks or not.

The best times that I have found for scouting are the weeks right before and after season opens. I like to get out and set up exactly where I would end up hunting and see if the birds show up. I take notes of activity, weather, everything. This would work well on rivers.

As far as immediately after the season ends, I think this may provide even more clues as to where you will have great success next season. Go to those spots that you always wanted to hunt during the season but were not totally sure they would have birds. You may be surprised at what you find.

So, in summary, the best kind of scouting to me is doing a "mock hunt." It is tedious, but some good scouting close to season where you can avoid disturbing the birds (especially in pre-season) will go a long way toward eventual success. Good luck!!
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:55 am

cwsmith wrote:As far as immediately after the season ends, I think this may provide even more clues as to where you will have great success next season. Go to those spots that you always wanted to hunt during the season but were not totally sure they would have birds. You may be surprised at what you find.

When the season ends in our area, birds swarm to take advantage of food sources in places too heavily hunted to be exploited sooner. So they may just be showing you places gun pressure makes them avoid in season.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Rick Hall wrote:When the season ends in our area, birds swarm to take advantage of food sources in places too heavily hunted to be exploited sooner. So they may just be showing you places gun pressure makes them avoid in season.

This leads me to think these might be prime times to look into those crowded public marshes, wildlife areas, and refuges. See where the birds gravitate to without pressure and keep that in mind for late season the next year
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:36 pm

cwsmith wrote:avoid disturbing the birds

You hit the nail on the head. Sneak into ponds and out of them if there are birds. Nothing worse than watching a raft of ducks from a hunkered down position a few hundred yards away and having someone run through them on plane busting them up.
agengo02
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:57 pm

if you have private land you can hunt put a trail cam up helps with scouting also lets know you know when ducks are coming into the spot you have the trail cam on. and if you have multiple spots on the same piece of land go early and pull the cards and look at them and see which hole is getting more ducks.

i have done this on a couple of places that i know the cams wont be disturbed and check them once a week if i can and will get to the place an hour before i need to and check them that morning but helps if you can drive almost up to the spot.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Google Earth, Google Earth, Google Earth! Learn what ducks eat in your area, then look for areas where that the food grows. Look for areas where the ducks will feed, then move to loaf and digest their food. Look for areas where they will roost for the night. Then go out in low water and scout them all. Determine bottom type, food types and volumes etc... in real time. Hunt different spots that you think will produce in season. If they are dead, note down all the conditions and hunt somewhere else that afternoon. Keep a log and when your done shooting for the day, take the time to scout nearby areas. Persistent efforts before and during season will dramatically improve your hunting success. I frequently hunted a spot I thought would be good that ended up dead. I would run up and down river or pull the boat and move to a new area. Once I found ducks, I moved in which flushed them out. We would end up shooting ducks while I was still throwing decoys a lot of the time.

The key to being on the x is making the effort to find the x in the first place.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby FowledReality » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Full tank of gas and aired up tires! Finding birds isn't enough. How many, are they relaxed, what time did they arrive, how long did they feed, will the conditions be similar tomorrow, etc... There are a million things that go into scouting! I like to play devils advocate and figure out what could go wrong to make the next day's hunt go awry. It doesn't always work, but your odds are better by doing your homework then blindly going out.
FowledReality
hunter

Postby blackwagon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:32 pm

Scouting can be a debatable issue by itself... By when I say "debatable" do you like to hunt to kill things or get out in the woods and enjoy the in the wilderness in its natural state and hope you are where they want to be!!!!! Both of which could be defined as a hunter! There is alot that goes into scouting like fowled reality said "there are a million things that go into scouting" I scout year around to try and find new and remote locations, look on google earth try and find new water holes or ponds where people cant see from the road lazy people wont walk to find new locations if its not in a boat or truck chances are they wont do it and most of the time you find a mother load off of a road you wont be the only person hunting those ducks or geese. By doing a little extra work before season starts and everyone goes to the easiest spots it will give you the advantage by going the extra mile and finding remote spots then you dont have to worry about the competition!!
blackwagon
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting