flagging?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

flagging?

Postby m3500 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:24 pm

Has anyone ever flagged for ducks whether it be a goose flag or a duck flag but still flagging like you would geese. I wonder how well it would work over water especially for far of ducks in the distance.
If it flies it dies, if it just sits there it dies too.
m3500
hunter

Re: flagging?

Postby luie b » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:47 am

Have tried it in the fields and can't say it "worked" but it helps get their attention some if you have a guy hail calling at the same time too. Definitely doesn't work as good as it does for geese though...
luie b
hunter

Postby Spunky » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:37 am

Yes and no.

The one swamp that I hunt is full of buck brush. It has small holes through out where veen a dozen deeks are to many. The birds will get in there and swim around feeding. When the birds do trade around they just fly 10-20 yards over the brush until they fine company and than they set down. Spent a half a season trying different methods trying to get the birds down in the little holes I was hunting. These birds are very call shy so that didn't work, more decoys brought the ducks near but they would set down in the next hole all the time. Changed to that hole and the birds would go to the next hole. They didn't like to lite into too many deeks. Spent a Sunday morning watching the birds through field glass from a small hill over looking the swamp and saw that every now and than a bird would get up and than drop right back into the same hole. Any birds that were in the air would directly head for the spot. Light bulb minute. The next trip I put a 2 foot square piece of black cloth on a pole, one of those that are used for painting that can collaspe and when ever I saw birds in the air I would wave it, it would draw them in BUT over waving would chase them away. Just a few up and down with the flag was all that was needed. I found that a few waves and a simple quack on the call was all the was needed. Works better during the dark over cast days than the bright sunny days.

Tried a goose flag but it was to big and the birds wouldn't work to it the smaller size works best.

I've seen diver hunters use them in layout boats to draw the birds in but I don't hunt divers.
Spunky
hunter

Postby m3500 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:22 am

Thanks for the help I guess I'll try just a few quick flaps with the rig em right hipnotizer duck flag I bought last year I never got a chance to use it. its not as big as a goose flag about the size of a duck with its wings spread out so it should work out nicely I hope.
If it flies it dies, if it just sits there it dies too.
m3500
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting