Duck Food

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Duck Food

Postby KyMike » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:36 am

Looking for reference material to ID different types of plants that ducks use. I have looked at apps but they are too generic. I am aware of smart weed, millet and a couple other plants. But I'm sure they eat more than that. It would be very useful while scouting to be able to see where the groceries are stored.
KyMike
hunter

Re: Duck Food

Postby Normmcclean » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:47 pm

Habitat now,Hancock seed, cooper seed co. All have good pics and descriptions of crops. Ducks can change their diet on a dime. I have seen puddlers so full of minnows before that they could barely fly and divers stuffed with grain. Just depends on what they are hitting that day. Be creative I have hunted small edys on creeks that were full of mallards eating invertebrates. Scout scout then scout some more. If your looking to plant on small ponds and areas I love to plant smart weed and wells rice or golden millet. Corn is king but need a lot of corn to make it worth your while and its expensive per tonnage.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby KyMike » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:26 am

Thanks for the sites. I agree with scouting being the key. What I was thinking about was scouting when I'm not scouting. For instance, while I'm fishing in the summer I come across a pond with unknown weeds on the edges. Are the weeds future duck food or junk weeds? Should I come back closer to season to scout it or not? It would be handy to have a reference or maybe one of the forums here could be started to post the different types if duck food with pictures?
KyMike
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:27 pm

Normmcclean wrote:Corn is king

I would have agreed with you several years ago, but I am quickly changing my tune. Corn is an important resource for ducks, but I think here in big MO we get to caught up with it. I think that having good moist soil response, coupled with Invertebrates (which usually come hand in hand with moist soil), as well as having Corn, is the true way to have good habitat. Think of it as Golden Corral buffet. You want to have all the food that a duck could want in one place, what way when the ducks are ready to switch say from moist soil to corn because of weather change, you have it.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby merlyn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:51 pm

go to http://www.fcps.edu/island creeks/ecology/pickerelweed.htm

I was doing the same thing you were and found this site. the pictures are great and the info is too,perfect for what we want.

there may be a better address but this works. I tried to go to the site by clicking on but no luck --you may have to type it all out
good luck,merlyn
merlyn
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting