Decoy species question

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Decoy species question

Postby teal12 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:50 am

I am wondering if it would be a smart idea to add a few pintail decoys to my spread for the color and eye appeal. We don't see very many pintail around but we also don't see a ton of divers either. I do have some goose decoys that I'm currently using. Just wondered if this would be a good idea or look too unnatural.
teal12
hunter

Re: Decoy species question

Postby scruggs12 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:12 am

If you see some, it may be okay. If you see one every other year, probably not so much. I would put maybe 1-2 on the outskirts of your spread to add visibility. The other option, which would work well, is to use wigeon decoys. I have pintails and wigeon in my spread, but see them a lot in the area. If you use the wigeon dekes, paint the white with a slightly brighter color of white. They stand out and would look more natural for your area if they are in the area more. Goose decoys are a great option for visibility and more natural, try to paint the white a little brighter as well to add visibility. Good luck!
scruggs12
hunter

Postby teal12 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:16 am

Thanks for the help. I have seen more wegion than pintails In my area. Is it possibly to paint some old mallards as wegion if so how hard is it to get the correct color pattern.
teal12
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:48 pm

Dude, wouldn't even try it. You can buy 6 for a reasonable price. Painting decoys sucks, not worth it, looks crappy when done(for the most part).
scruggs12
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:33 pm

Definitely try to represent the species you most often see. Wigeon sound like a good idea here. Would be difficult to paint. I highly recommend the Avery GHG Pro-Grade Wigeons. Mack's has free shipping on them right now and the best price on the market.
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:13 pm

I'm with these guys on the species of decoys you are putting out there. Pintails are my absolute favorite duck, but MN has very few pintails. For that reason, I haven't bought any pintail decoys and wouldn't put them in my spread in MN.

When the migration is on, I think you can mix it up a little more because there are ducks moving every which way and they're seeing all sorts of species on their way down. Goose decoys are my favorite visibility boost, and I love to make geese go splash...
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:30 am

Save yourself a lot of headaches. Getting the paint for a widgeon right is very tough! They don't have that much white on them.

Take some old decoys you have or some cheap ones and spray paint them black. If you see some divers in your area spray paint a 6 inch wide band of white across the middle of some of the black decoys. Put these on the outside edges of your spread. Go over the white on all your other decoys that have white and make sure it is clean or repaint the white. This will take care of the distance sighting of your deeks by the birds. Also get a flag and learn when and how to use it. The flag does more to attract attention than the color of the deeks.

People who count and video ducks from the air will tell you the first color they seen on bird is black at a distance. White comes next then the rest of the colors. Ducks have the same view when coming in as a person in an airplane until they get close. I switched to using a lot of all black decoys last year and dramatically increased my bird count. I even hunted over all black decoys a few times and shot just as many birds.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby teal12 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:42 am

Thanks for all the help. I have 2 1/2 dozen old decoys I'm painting up as divers. Ill reaping the white on my goose decoys as they are getting dull in color.
teal12
hunter

Postby jellotree » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:46 am

As said, go dark. Get black duck decoys. We get buffleheads come inside the marsh sometimes, so I'll throw buffie decoys out for colour as well.
jellotree
hunter

Postby TexasMallard10 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:09 am

I mean it all depends on where you hunt and what species you see. Here in new mexico where i hunt some teal and pin tails in your spread are good confidence birds and add a canadian floater in your spread and it tough for passing birds not to stop. But its like all of these guys have been saying its all based on birds you see often.
TexasMallard10
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:55 am

Heck a few sprig thrown in won't hurt ya one bit..............hell if anything it may help you seal the deal if a sprig happens to fly by .
Anything that get's repainted these days get painted all black........and we hunt 98% mallards in our area.
The black shows up way better then white at a distance......the all black decoys don't bug the birds at all Mallard will land right next to them. :yes:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting