SHOVEL LOVER'S

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

SHOVEL LOVER'S

Postby duckdog » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:50 pm

I read in another forum about a guy shooting a shoveler, spoonie,strainer lip's whatever you want to call them, can't remember where he was from, but he was going to take it to the taxidermist :eek: I live in NW Iowa and they are here in plentiful number's and usally pass them up, as we consider them a s%*t duck, like coot. Sorry if I offended anyone just seeing if they are cosidered a good duck in other part's of the country? :yes:
duckdog
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:23 am

Its better then nothing, its kind of like gadies too.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby marsh1buster » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:38 am

We call 'em smiling mallards, because we let 'em fly right by. Unless of coarse that's all we see. Gotta shoot something. :yes:
http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/inde ... rerid=6847
PRETA--People for the Reasonably Ethical Treatment of Animals

If you love animals but don't lose sleep over whether a fish has feelings, this group's for you!
marsh1buster
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:32 am

Drakes are pretty when in full plumage. We will shoot them. Ducks are ducks. They all taste the same the way I cook them.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Hunten E Guy » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:05 pm

where i hunt, wed ont get alot of them, but we shoot them if we see them, i would mount a nice drake spoon if i got one
Hunten E Guy
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:52 pm

we wont pass up a spoonie. theres not many around here though. did have a big flock come in last year. dumped 2 with one shot.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackkiller » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:19 pm

We get a few around here each year. I always shoot em when I get the chance. I don't see anything wrong with them, as a matter of fact, I think the drakes are pretty when in full plumage.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:01 am

Around here, if ya shoot a bootlip, he tastes like smells....like a catfish pond. We let em fly, but, accidents do happen. Y'all have a nice day!
:salude:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:59 am

Hmmmmm ......

They do taste good if they have been eating the right food. Heck I have shot Mallards that were feeding in flax---oily as all heck, ish. So it is not so much the duck specie as much as where they have been eating.
I remember my GPa shot a Can back in the 20s-he said it did not taste good and refused to shoot any more of them. But my Dad shot them and he just shook his head. Well in the 40s My Dad had his Mom cook a bunch of Cans up and did not tell his Dad, when asked how the tasted, he said real good--my Dad then told him they were Cans. My GPa then shot cans after that. All this means, keep an open mind. And Oh--it does make a difference on all waterfowl on how you prepare them.

I occassionally shoot them, but I generally concentrate on Mallards because it is a bigger duck. I pass on GWTeal as there is no meat on them. But then again I love to shoot BWteal as they is nice and fat in the early season Mmmmmmm
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Giv'em3 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:31 pm

I have a drake and a hen spoon mounted in my living room. I think they are a beautiful bird when in full color. I shot them in Texas. Haven't seen many in Kentucky.
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting