Conservation and Attraction

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Conservation and Attraction

Postby laduckman » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:40 am

I live in SE Alabama. About the only ducks we ever see here are Woodies, except for the few late, late season north birds. This year has been terrible for duck hunting. It seems that about the third time we shoot our ponds there are no more birds to be seen. It just seems like there are no new birds flying in here. Anyone have any suggestions to keep the birds coming in all season and what we can do in the off season to attract more birds to our hunting spots. Most of our hunting is done over rivers, beaver ponds, and fishing ponds. Everyone I talked to this year says that there are no ducks here like there have been in years past.

Anyone know of a really good hunt in north or south dakota. Some frinends and I are planning a hunt there next year.
laduckman
hunter

Familiar story

Postby Bruiserdm » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:06 pm

Here in Oregon we have the same situation. No ducks after the first few rounds. I am going to attempt to plant some food and flood it. Other than that, the only thing we can do is wait for more birds.
Bruiserdm
hunter

Postby Huntinracer » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:55 pm

Here in Nebraska the ducks were everywhere on the Missouri and Niobrara Rivers and The Platte is full of geese. I guess we just have a niche for waterfowl.
I have Hunted almost everyday of my life, The rest has been wasted!!!!!!
-Primos
Huntinracer
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:00 am

Try putting up some duck boxes in the bottoms if the birds are nesting locally. I live in the north, so we get the nesters here and I put six up in a beaver flooded timber area and went from seeing a few birds to having great shoots there. There could be any number of factors to this turnaround, but I want to think that I had a positive effect on the population growth.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting