Goose spreads for ducks

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Goose spreads for ducks

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:19 am

I read an article awhile back where the author basically said most people throw out spreads with 24-48 ducks and 2-6 geese. He said you hardly ever see a few geese land with a big group of ducks but it is very common for ducks to land with large numbers of geese as they feel secure with the "refuge" look/feel of numerous geese. To sum it up the author ended up saying to hunt with as many goose decoys as you can and throw a few duck decoys 5-10 right where you want the ducks to land. He said you will kill just as many, if not more, ducks and significantly more geese. This setup is directed towards river and lake hunting.

I was just curious what people think about this and if anyone actually does this.
LiquidA45
hunter

Re: Goose spreads for ducks

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Deja vu. I wrote just such an article for Outdoor Life back in the '90s, so it's safe to say I'm a believer.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Just looked it up and here the article is called "why geese make the best duck decoys". Written by Kyle Wintersteen in August of 2012.

I would be interested to read your article if it is available?
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:40 pm

X2 ^^^
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:31 pm

Last opening day, I set up a dozen and a half decoys in front of the blind in a "J". Off to the left I put some full body geese on a sand bar. 17 of 18 ducks shot by us that day were shot while they were trying to land with the geese, a few even landed in them before LST.
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:41 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:I would be interested to read your article if it is available?

For personal reasons, that's one of just two pieces I could still date, OL's November issue of '96. (The other being in that same issue of Gray's.) But I don't know where you'd find it. Hurricane Rita made a giant spit wad of all my tear sheets.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:23 pm

A round here when hunting fields for ducks most guys don't even bother with duck decoys. A couple dozen goose decoys will bring them like fleas to a dog.....................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:49 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:A round here when hunting fields for ducks most guys don't even bother with duck decoys. A couple dozen goose decoys will bring them like fleas to a dog.....................

I figured that for fields, I am talking water only.

Thought about running a spread like this-
2 dozen goose full bodies
half dozen goose floaters
half dozen duck floaters
half dozen duck full bodies

I would use more geese but they are so expensive and I am starting from scratch.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:39 pm

No lie, I hunted with a dude once who threw about 60 duck decoys, except they were painted to look like snow goose. Then he had about dozen Canada goose floaters and about another dozen mallard decoys. Crazy thing is it worked extremely well on ducks and one unlucky ross.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:58 am

It works really well on pressured areas. I hunt a very big and crowded raffle hunting marsh in Missouri and everyone hunts 30-60 duck decoys and 4 spinners. I hunt a dozen goose floaters and a dozen shells and a dozen mallards with a jerk cord and regularly walk out of the fields ahead of everyone else.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:16 pm

i would be happy running 1500 darks and only 100 ducks. on water.. :yes:
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Goose Doctors » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:24 am

On the last day of goose last year I had my floaters out, before I even saw any geese there were about 12 mallards that had made their way across the lake to my decoys and just sat there and loafed around for a good hour... wished it wouldve been in duck season, coulda picked out the brightest late season green heads and had no problem
Goose Doctors
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:23 am

How big of a body of water does it need to be to stay looking natural? I hunt salt water marshes and we get our fair share of snows for sure, but I never see them on the smaller bodies of water I hunt for ducks. I have seen them rafter up in the bigger lakes, just not in the small water.

Just trying to think how it could work for my application without looking un-natural.
agengo02
hunter

Postby Mwittmayer » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:01 am

I hunt over in Northern California in the rice fields, with our check right in the middle with two rice fields on the North and south side. We have always used about 8-12 dozen ducks mostly malards, sprig, and teal, but always on the look out for a new tactic to bring in the ducks. I really like the idea of the Geese, especially since a lot of the fields we drive by have geese and ducks sitting amongst each other. Would you recommend using floaters out in the open water or up on the check with us? Any suggestions would be great.
Mwittmayer
Newb

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:03 am

So far I have been spending all my money acquiring goose decoys. So far I have 20 full bodies and 1/2 dozen floaters. I want more but everywhere I hunt it is at least 1/2 mile walk and usually just me and my buddy. Carrying a bag full of duck decoys, a layout blind, gun, blind bag, and goose decoys is going to be rough. Ideally I would like to run 2 dozen goose full bodies, a dozen floaters and 6 dozen ducks.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:10 pm

heck i was out today on a big river targeting honkers and had 12 fullbodys and 8 floaters (all geese) and didn't get any geese to come in. however we would have limited on mallards, wood ducks, and sawbills by 7:15am with how many of them were dropping in - no hesitation!!
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:31 pm

I started running goose floaters for ducks on the Mississippi here in Minnesota back in the late 90s. We run about sixty honkers and eighteen mag mallards and has worked great for us since we start using this spread. I start running the goose spread about mid season when the ducks have seen the same three dozen duck and doz goose spread over and over again. Also you get the benefit of sucking honkers into you a lot easier. And shooting honkers feet down at fifteen yards over a water spread is my favorite way to shoot geese. Also last year oddly we killed the majority of are Canvasbacks over the goose spread. They would land right among the goose floater I'm sure all the white on the goose deeks butts had something to do with that though.
olt d2
hunter

Postby straitkilla02 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:26 pm

On our river blind this year we are going to run a spread of 500 duck and 200 goose floaters to start the season. The plan is to pull almost all the duck decoys once we start to freeze, and just hunt over the goose decoys. Last year we did this late in the season and had one of our best years ever.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
straitkilla02
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:45 pm

straitkilla02 wrote:On our river blind this year we are going to run a spread of 500 duck and 200 goose floaters to start the season. The plan is to pull almost all the duck decoys once we start to freeze, and just hunt over the goose decoys. Last year we did this late in the season and had one of our best years ever.

That's so many decoys, I can't even imagine!! I'll tell my buddy to start doing more shrugs...we walk into all our spots but I think we could carry close to half that many if we eat a good breakfast.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby straitkilla02 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:31 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
straitkilla02 wrote:On our river blind this year we are going to run a spread of 500 duck and 200 goose floaters to start the season. The plan is to pull almost all the duck decoys once we start to freeze, and just hunt over the goose decoys. Last year we did this late in the season and had one of our best years ever.

That's so many decoys, I can't even imagine!! I'll tell my buddy to start doing more shrugs...we walk into all our spots but I think we could carry close to half that many if we eat a good breakfast.

Where I hunt at we permanent blinds, and leave our decoys out all season or until the river starts to freeze. There are 7 or 8 other blinds within eyesight and they all have out 300-500 decoys. In years past we used to put out 700-800 duck decoys to be "different". Last year we decided to sale some of the duck decoys and buy goose floaters. It worked out great. Only one blinds puts out any goose decoys and its usually 2-3 dozen.
straitkilla02
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:47 am

straitkilla02 wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:

Where I hunt at we permanent blinds, and leave our decoys out all season or until the river starts to freeze. There are 7 or 8 other blinds within eyesight and they all have out 300-500 decoys. In years past we used to put out 700-800 duck decoys to be "different". Last year we decided to sale some of the duck decoys and buy goose floaters. It worked out great. Only one blinds puts out any goose decoys and its usually 2-3 dozen.

Do you not have problems with people stealing decoys?
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby straitkilla02 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:51 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
straitkilla02 wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:

Do you not have problems with people stealing decoys?

Been hunting in this area for 15 years and have never had decoys stolen. Every blind in the area leaves all the decoys out. Too much work to put out and pick up that many decoys every day.
straitkilla02
hunter

Postby Wood Duck Hunter » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:07 pm

Actuly, you don't always need to have duck decoys out, 3 years ago my dad killed a mallard with just goose decoys out. big triple curl too.
Wood Duck Hunter
hunter

Postby scubaarchery » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:24 pm

Since we have early season goose and teal at the same time, we put ducks and geese out. This early in the season, we use full bodies and shells in small family groups, but we put the full bodies around the layout blinds to help conceal them.
scubaarchery
hunter

Postby dbrown57 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:42 am

I read the exact same article. I firmly believe that goose spreads with a few duck decoys is the way to go I only have a dozen floaters and I'm online to buy two more dozen. Several times I've had mallards drop into my goose decoys out of duck season, I want to run twee dozen goose and 8-10 mix bag of duck. Throw in a couple wonder ducks and you got your self a banner day!
PRO STAFF FOR CRITTER DONE GAME CALLS
dbrown57
hunter

Next

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting