Goose spreads for ducks

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Goose spreads for ducks

Postby Pfcwhit » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:26 pm

I have had success in corn and wheat, just putting out a decent spread of goose full bodies and either a spinner or mojo in the middle of it. Shoot ducks first thing and when the geese roll in a little later, pull the spinner or mojo from the spread and hammer the geese.
Pfcwhit
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:27 am

Ok so question for me. We dont kill many geese down here. Guys I hunt with have never even killed a goose down here. I have a chance to get 4 new full body goose decoys. think I can benefit from them. It probably wont hurt amongst 2 or 4 dozen decoys set to the side. Opinions please
txhunter90
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:27 am

My saying is, I'd rather have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. I don't know how much help it will be to have only 4 but I don't know that it would hurt. If the price is right and you don't need any other gear then go for it.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Pfcwhit » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:57 am

txhunter90 wrote:Ok so question for me. We dont kill many geese down here. Guys I hunt with have never even killed a goose down here. I have a chance to get 4 new full body goose decoys. think I can benefit from them. It probably wont hurt amongst 2 or 4 dozen decoys set to the side. Opinions please

4 full bodies definitely won't hurt anything. You may bet a few singles or pairs to come in. But to get a good flock of geese to come in, you usually need a few more. I'm not saying you can't do good with 4 goose decoys but it seems a lot easier to decoy geese with a bigger spread.
Pfcwhit
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:08 am

Guys hunting up river from me had a goose spread out this weekend. 1 doz fullbodies and 1 doz shells on a sand bar, then a dozen teal/woodies in a pocket of water the size of a bath tub. Every duck locked up and went right in there to them and never once looked at my spread of mallard/woodies/teal in a section of open water.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:13 am

Pfcwhit wrote:
txhunter90 wrote:Ok so question for me. We dont kill many geese down here. Guys I hunt with have never even killed a goose down here. I have a chance to get 4 new full body goose decoys. think I can benefit from them. It probably wont hurt amongst 2 or 4 dozen decoys set to the side. Opinions please

4 full bodies definitely won't hurt anything. You may bet a few singles or pairs to come in. But to get a good flock of geese to come in, you usually need a few more. I'm not saying you can't do good with 4 goose decoys but it seems a lot easier to decoy geese with a bigger spread.

I'm takin more for ducks to be more of a confidence thing.
txhunter90
hunter

Postby Pfcwhit » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:28 am

txhunter90 wrote:
Pfcwhit wrote:

I'm takin more for ducks to be more of a confidence thing.

Oh. Yeah then 4 full bodies could work awesome. I've even put out just a pair together to help with confidence.
Pfcwhit
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:51 am

I read this article in Wildfowl. It works, definitely but I always add several ducks to the spread, as I still use duck calls. Swan decoys work wonders too...
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Capt. Jerk String » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Spreads with mostly geese and fewer ducks work great. Especially early in the duck season since they're not really flocked up to much. Had geese and ducks coming in a lot last week. Good combo of a couple of guys calling and my specialty 3 ducks on the jerk string. Mix that right on the inner edge worked like magic. Get those ducks spread out and try for some shallow rapids for other natural movement ahead of the goose spread. Love the river hunting.
Capt. Jerk String
Newb

Postby WF1 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:25 pm

How early do people start using these tactics? There aren't hardly any mallards in ks yet mainly teal gadwall pintails-I have seen one flock of migratory geese and that's it, but I've also been expanding my goose spread to use and have downsized my duck spread. Just curious if teal/pintails react similar to what mallards do.
WF1
hunter

Postby RShockley » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:22 pm

Say you were to only add 4 goose floaters to your duck spread when hunting on open water. Is there a certain way the geese should be positioned within the ducks?
RShockley
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:36 pm

Took the goose decoys off the water yesterday and killed a limit. All of last week we shot 1 wood duck and couldnt figure out why the ducks wouldn't commit. Figured it out :smile:
BBK
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:58 pm

BBK wrote:Took the goose decoys off the water yesterday and killed a limit. All of last week we shot 1 wood duck and couldnt figure out why the ducks wouldn't commit. Figured it out :smile:

Didn't you just say the guys hunting up river were running a goose spread and were skunking you?
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:05 pm

Yup, but now the birds are not opening day stupid.
BBK
hunter

Previous

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting